Difficult decision

A place to just hang out.

Postby Gunther » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:40 pm

I have the AR for target practice. I don't compete, but I enjoy going into the woods and shooting up a bunch of paper (targets). I had a .358 Browning Lever Action Rifle, which is great if you are hunting deer in Saskatchewan or something, but expensive if all you want to do is shoot paper.

.358 cal bullet = $1.05
.223 Cal bullet = $0.30

Besides, I know the AR like the back of my hand.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:22 pm

I had almost bought an AR-15 years ago, my step father had bought an AK-47 for 250.00, 2 months later the importation ban went into effect and the price shot up to 800.00 and 1500.00 for the AR.
I decided that if I ever "needed" an assault weapon it would most likely be for indoor use so opted for a 12 gauge bullpup, I picked up a nice mosberg model 500 for around 200.00 but have yet to see hide nor hair of any ATF agents storming my house. :wink:
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:57 pm

lol

I paid $550 for my AR-15 on Jan 19, 1993; the day before President Clinton was inaugurated. I hear they are up there today.

You are right about the shotguns. They are so much better for MOUT fighting than an assault rifle. The rifle is great in the woods, but indoors or in a trench, nothing beats a 12-gauge.

When the anti-gun folks were putting a video together to show how bad assault rifles were, they took a bad ass looking AR-15 and fired it at a watermelon. They inspected the entry hole, it was less than a 1/4" in diameter. The exit hole was the same, through and through. They were not satisfied with their results. Next they took a 12-gauge shotgun and fired it at the watermelon. The shotgun entry/exit holes were decisively larger than the AR holes. The exit wound was a crater. So when they put the video together, it showed someone firing the AR-15 and then the watermelon being hit by the shotgun round.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Previous

Return to General Chat