Terrorist gamers?

A place to just hang out.

Terrorist gamers?

Postby rhonnin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Personally I think this is just some cheap ploy by a homeland security employee so he can play WoW at work. Regardless, does this mean all chat will go through homeland security chat servers?

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/world-of-warcra.html
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 pm

The Department of Defense has a contingency plan on how to attack every hostile nation in the world. They state this was fictionalized to portray a method for "would be terrorists" to use WoW and its inherent lingo to plan a real world attack.

The fictional plot was originally developed by Dan Arey, for the Director of National Intelligence's Summer Hard Problems workshop, or SHARP. And its details are a little fuzzy. The terminology doesn't match World of Warcraft lingo, all that precisely. There is no "White Keep" in World of Warcraft; "Dragon Fire" is a spell in EverQuest, the old-school role-playing game, not WoW. But the banter is reminiscent enough of World of Warcraft talk, to give outsiders an idea of how such a conversation might go down -- and how hard it would be to identify.

WIRED Blog Network got ahold of this story and sensationalized it. Yes it is possible, but would it happen? maybe. I'm sure the NSA is already tapped into every phone and internet site in the world with computers attached ready to pick up on specific keywords that may reveal some evilish plot.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Just to be on the safe side I'm keeping the terrorist hostage fantasy out of my hawt cyborz from now on, sorry Monkey.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Droxor » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:00 am

So that's why my account got banned shortly after I made a joke about crashing 2 gryphons into stormwing just to "show those white infadels that evil and fear go farther than diplomacy". . . . .and who are these men in black suites at my house? brb.
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to General Chat