64 years ago at Nijmegan, Holland

A place to just hang out.

64 years ago at Nijmegan, Holland

Postby Gunther » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:48 pm

On September 20, 1944 (64 years ago yesterday), 1st and 3rd battalions, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), 82nd Infantry Division (Airborne); along with men of the 307th Engineer Battalion (Airborne) made the famous 400+ yard, daylight crossing of the Waal river north of Nijmegan, Holland. Twenty Six flimsy, wood and canvas boats carried the men across to secure the Nijmegen bridge before the Germans could blow it. They started off at 1500 hours that afternoon and less than four hours later had successfully seized the bridge. This allowed the British armor to keep moving north toward Arnhem. If you've never read anything about this action, I suggest you do. It was one of the ballsiest undertakings of the war and is just another example of the tenacity, determination and effectiveness of the American Paratrooper in combat.

The following is a statement written yesterday by SGT Walter Hughes who participated in this event:

“I was a PFC at the time of the Crossing. It was my first combat as I was a replacement in the company in England. Their wasn't to much flak over the Drop Zone (DZ). We had some initially over the coast, but the DZ was I think 62 miles behind the German Line.
“I landed near a farm yard and could see people looking out the window and to tell you the truth was scared S--t. I didn't know if I should shoot the window out or what, but a small child came out the door with an orange flag and gave it to me.

“Well anyway we got into a couple of quick fire-fights making our way toward Nijmegan. Up until Sept 20 we had several wounded. I Co. (504th PIR) was supposed to be 3rd BN Reserve Company. Then word came down that we were to get ready to make the assault across the River to secure the North side of the Bridge and keep the krauts from blowing it. It was to be a night time operation, except the boats were still miles back around where the 101(st Airborne Infantry Division) was.

“We waited all night and all morning holed up behind the Flood embankment while several British tanks kept firing at what I don't know across the river which only annoyed the Germans that they started to Shell our area. Lt Blankenship told the one tank Officer if they wanted to tell the Germans we were coming he couldn't do a better job if he sent them a telegram. (Lieutenant Blankenship) He took a Gammon Grenade and laid it on the tank tread. He told the Brit ‘If you fire that Gun one more time, you are going to have one hell of a flat tire to fix.’ The Brit didn't see that the Lt didn't unscrew the cap, but they packed up and pulled back.

“When the trucks arrived I almost had a heart attack. I was a Merchant Seaman before the Army and those Canvas and wood boats looked like they wouldn't float or stay upright, I thought no one will get to the other side, everyone will drown. I thought of untying my boot laces so if she sunk I could kick off my boots. I wasn't going to swim too far with two bags of Tommy gun clips and two reels of wire and everything else, so no use worrying about the boots. I didn't worry about the Krauts I never thought I would get near them.

“They waitied untill we got almost to the middle of the river and all hell broke loose I think every boat got hit with small arms Machine guns; 20MM, 40MM. All you could see was boats going in circles sinking. The noise of the German bullets going over your head was deafening. I took a paddle from a dead Engineer. I knew he was dead he had a hole in his chest looked like it was made by a basketball.

“We got to the other side and half the boat was (filled with) wounded or dead, I followed Francis Keefe, and Lt Blankenship running toward the dike I had already emptied 2 of my 30-round clips. Wherever I seen flashes and a possible head on the dike I fired. At the dike we were out of breath and tried to keep down. Francis let out a yell and said he was hit. I seen his hand hanging off and grabbed it to try and hold it in place. While I was trying to bandage the hand he got hit in the shoulder by a bullet probably intended for me. I heard it go by my face, The kraut got off another shot before Leo Muri stopped his clock. The last shot caught Francis in the mouth. Francis knew he was going to be evacuated so he gave me his 45 and his wallet. The Wallet I don't remember. He still kids me about it today. But the 45 saved my life.

“Just a short time later there were about 10 of us with Lt. Blankenship. He said. ‘Let’s go Make History!’ We headed for the road and got past the Railroad bridge and got to the steps going up to the deck of the Bridge. Capt Burris was also there with several Troopers. I had just turned a corner when two German soldiers popped up about 30 feet in front of me. Both pegged off a shot at me one bullet hit a Tommy gun Magazine in the pouch and the other hit the stock of my gun. As they started to put another round in the chamber I knew I couldn’t outrun them, so I pulled Francis' .45 and ran right at them firing as I ran. They must have been more scared than I was cause they tried to turn and run. I was too good a shot with the .45; I made marksmen with it back in basic.

“Lt Blankenship yelled at me, ‘Stop gawkin and get some of those bandoleers and clips from the dead and wounded GIs and get it up to Sgt Muri and the Captain.’

“We captured two of the pillboxes and blew up the 3rd. From one of the pillboxes we picked off the Germans holed up in the girders. We also cut hundreds of wires most probably telephone lines but some had to be to the explosives. I guess you know as Paul Harvey would say, ‘The rest of the Story’. It was a wasted effort. The British tanks refused to go on.

“People have asked me. ‘Did I see or was I around Major Cook. (Robert Redford portrayed Maj Cook in the Movie.) He was there, but he wasn't the first on the Bridge. Capt Burris and Lt Blankenship were the first ones on the bridge deck. If You want to read Francis Keefe (lives in Jupiter Florida) and Bill Leonard from Pennsylvania, their story of the crossing is on the Dutch Website. www.504paratroopers.nl. Also what Francis Keefe says about me, (The Brooklyn Kid). We are I Company and lost almost half the company wounded and killed, but not one man refused to get in those boats, or climb up the stairs to the Bridge.

“I was in for a lot more combat before the War would end but that day, Sept 20 (1944) was my first in many ways. I can close my eyes and still see it like it was yesterday. Lt Blankenship and Capt Burris received the DSC for that day along with Walter Muszynski. They all earned it; believe me. I always said that day was won by a handful of Paratroopers that didn't know the meaning of quitting and Officers that didn't follow. They led the way

Now I better quit. This e-mail (has) turned into a book”

Walter E. Hughes
SGT, IN
I Company, 504th. Parachute Infantry Regiment
82nd Infantry Division (Airborne)

I found this in my E-mail today. I figured I might share it with you folks. You may be aware that I am something of a history buff and to read words from someone who was there is awe-inspiring..
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to General Chat