Still in Planetside?

Discuss this famous MMOFPS/RTS game.

Still in Planetside?

Postby Sleestak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:08 am

Hey guys,
This is Sleestak, formerly of the 501st AMU (Air Mobile Unit) in Planetside. Once upon a time Team501 was heavily into Planetside and used to do ops with you guys, amongst others, in the Terran alliance. I was just running through old bookmarks in my browser and found your page. Thought I'd stop by and say hi.
I still recognize a few names in here, but lots of new ones too. I was just talking with our clan leader the other day about how I'd love to see a Planetside II come out, but haven't heard of anything comparable even on the drawing board with Sony or any other companies. So, I've got a couple questions for you.

1. Is playing good old PS still fun?
2. Heard any rumors about another similar MMO coming in the future?

There's just no way to replace the fun I had in Planetside, despite my love/hate relationship with Sony. (loved the gameplay, hated the buff/nerf crap as well as the extortion money "subscription fee") Those all-Terran nights we had were some of my best gaming experiences ever!
Operation Hindenburg
Prowler Night
etc.

Ah, the memories.

Have moved on and played lots of other games in the interim: CODII, CS:S, DOD:S, Guildwars, BF2, AOEIII, Warhammer, etc. Nothing seems to hold my interest as well as PS did for so long.
Sleestak
Formerly of the 501st AMU in PS
Sleestak
Private
Private

Postby Gunther » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:15 pm

I remember you, Sleestak. I personally don't play PS anymore. It appears the devs at SOE really don't care for PS. I think it is their bastard stepchild.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Sleestak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:17 pm

Gunther, good times we had.

I'm really surprised PS is still going. I mean, how old is it now? But then, it takes less effort and resources to feed little increments into an existing architecture than to invest in a whole new engine/game/environment and start over. As long as enough subscription fees are coming in I guess it's worth it.

What I'm scratchin my head on is why there hasn't been another incarnation of this type of game. Talking with many in Team501 we all agreed that it was a gaming experience like no other. Was it really such a money loss to Sony that they don't want to do it again? Or why hasn't another company (granted, there are only a few big houses left with all the mergers/acquisitions) taken it upon themselves to use that model and improve upon it?

I keep looking towards BF2142 as the next closest thing to Planetside. (futuristic, mulitplayer, FPS) but it would only be a pale shadow of the titanic battles we had in PS. Damn, but you should see people's faces when I tell them about the massive aerial invasion we organized, and the couple hundred people on Ventrilo, all working together in some semblence of order. (of course all plans go to hell once you engage the enemy, but heck the order of battle alone was enough to make you quiver with anticipation)
Sleestak
Formerly of the 501st AMU in PS
Sleestak
Private
Private

Postby jediknight » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:39 pm

To make a game like PS is 1. Expensive 2. Your average FPS gamer (teenager's) don't want to,or don't have the Money to pay.(hell there's allot of fps that are free MP) 3. Its slow paced fps,while all the "popular" fps are faced paced, bunny hopper's. But you can play Fodder side and play for free!
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Postby FloobieDoobie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:08 pm

The average TR zergling still wears a styrofoam reggie helmet and rides to battle in a 1/4 length bus sporting a brand new retard launching pad all painted in brilliant TR red.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby TheLoneTerran » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:29 pm

Hey read my quote, the way to cause optimal damage to the enemy is NOT dropping a school bus full of retarded children on them....well....it is the TR...shall we make an exception this time?
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to PlanetSide