Update today

Discuss this famous MMOFPS/RTS game.

Postby cApNhOwDy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:26 am

I might go pick up a timecard myself. I wanna be there when they do something with the 3 blades symbol. Maybe it's not a 4th empire in itself, but just the weaponry from a hidden 4th empire. That's my guess.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby TheLoneTerran » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:08 am

Even though my PC desktop won't run PS for some reason, I may re-install it back onto my laptop if this stuff turns out to be any good.
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:41 pm

I reinstalled PS and notice that the play button was active. It turns out there must have been a trial which I still had available.

The new weapons are kinda neat and I am thinking about picking up CE for the new stuff.

The one thing I noticed was the 0% packet loss which I never experience before. Along with FPS around 60-100 the gameplay was smooth. I need to get into a inside battle to see if the numbers drop but so far I am getting a huge improvement in performance.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Rangerr » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 am

Ok word is from the devs that the new vehs will be put in-game Thurs night/Fri morning. The black ops swords are not going to be released to general population, however they are working on new melee weapons that will be similar to the sword. The devs are actually becoming more active on the forums (and the mods are too).

New Dev Xahn
So I know this topic could become a lighting rod for slamming me here, but I'm going to somewhat attempt to field this question/comment/rant/ramble. " />

So do the new devs (I'm assuming you mean me...) understand FPSs? Particularly in my case, I do. I have always loved FPSs and they constitute the majority of what I play. While I have a huge background in RPG style games (in terms of development), keep in mind that I'm a process guy. I keep the team on track, keep our schedules straight, and try to keep as much randomization (like finding equipment, filling budget paperwork, ect ect) away from the team so they can actually focus on getting content designed and in. While I do offer suggestions and help with prioritization, I understand that Planetside has changed significantly from when I used to play all the time (and believe me, for a long while all I did was play Planetside. To me it's still revolutionary!) I do recognize that I'm going to have to play some catch up. First step to fixing that problem is acknowledging that it is a problem. One of the best things about our Planetside design is that we involve everyone. Our team gets together with marketing, CS and QA once a week to go over all the updates and ideas we have. Many of the people who attend our meeting have a rich history with Planetside and help us identify issues that might occur based on our current designs.

I think there is something to be said that while Planetside is an FPS, it's also much much more. And that the only way to know Planetside is to play Planetside. Knowing this, guess what I've been doing? " /> Planetside is a very unique animal, and it's also one that I'm particularly proud of. The team and I are committed to listening on the forums, reviewing playtest feedback, and trying to make the most informed decisions for the game possible. But we're also realistic in knowing that we won't always make the perfect decision, we're still capable of making mistakes. But when we do make a misstep, we'll commit to correcting it. There are no egos here, so if there is a problem, we'll admit to it and fix it (we're even making a big push to include 2 weeks of legacy bug fixes to each update, so it's not just the recent problems).

Fundamentally, we're all striving for the same goal. I'm motivated to keep Planetside fresh, interesting, to address some issues that I inherited, and to build population for you guys (since an FPS is no fun without people to shoot at). I won't promise any miracles, but I will promise that I will put all my effort and resources into Planetside.

Xahn is working on getting more promotion for the game and also is trying to get the Reserves setup back.

veh release date:
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000012254

promotion/reserves:
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?&topic_id=88000012149
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/hook_75/rangerrsig_112.gif[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/Rangerr][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/Rangerr.png[/img][/url]
Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you do about it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero - Horace
Rangerr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby rhonnin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 am

Most people thought reserves were a bad idea due to the rampant hacking.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Droxor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:49 pm

You can't argue with the numbers they increased though.

Also, Monkey. . .they're finnaly giving you your sword :P
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:55 pm

Droxor wrote:You can't argue with the numbers they increased though.

Sure you can, they are free accounts that didn't generate any money for the game, the fact that once the fodder program was dropped there was a corresponding drop in player census attests to it.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Rangerr » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:49 pm

Rhonnin wrote:
Droxor wrote:You can't argue with the numbers they increased though.

Sure you can, they are free accounts that didn't generate any money for the game, the fact that once the fodder program was dropped there was a corresponding drop in player census attests to it.

The drop in hackers coincided not only with the drop of reserves but also with the release of additional hack detection. However yes bringing back reserves would most defiantely bring back rampant hackers. However the reserves program is good because it increases population (more fodder for vets) and also gives people a chance to play for free.

Why is that important? Good question. I'll tell you. As we all know Planetside has a pretty steep learning curve espically compared to most MMO games. New players get very disheartened when their k/d is like 1/20. However they would be more likely to keep playing if the game was free. Since the cost to buy the game is now lower than the cost to sub for a month people won't resub if they are getting their butts kicked all the time. Admittedly SOE needs to develop a way to make PS more newb friendly.

Reserves does need to be tweaked though. Instead of saying here you can play for free for a year, they need to limit each account to say two-three months. Enough time for someone to learn the game but not enough time for them to get the been there, done that attitude. Also they need to require a credit card number or other way to identify accounts so they can be held responsible or at least to stop rampant hackers who just start a new account when one gets banned.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/hook_75/rangerrsig_112.gif[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/Rangerr][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/Rangerr.png[/img][/url]
Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you do about it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero - Horace
Rangerr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Pilsner » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:01 pm

I may resub for a month to shoot usd in the back as often as possible.
Pilsner
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby USDnobody » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:06 pm

you better bring friends nigga
>insert witty remark<
USDnobody
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to PlanetSide