Battle Domes

Discuss this famous MMOFPS/RTS game.

Battle Domes

Postby rhonnin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 am

Battle Domes, Coming to a Server Near You

The PlanetSide® team has been working on an exciting new project that'll be headed to the live servers in the very near future (if not already)! The project, affectionately dubbed the Battle Domes, was thought up to help promote fast paced fragging action, all-new maps to have some memorable battles on, and ultimately bring in a new game style into PlanetSide.

Internal testing commenced on the first Battle Dome some time ago as a test of concept. The textures were rough, the layout was a bit rough too, but anyone interested could hop in and get an idea for how the matches would take place inside the dome. First impression, the game style was quick which should make fraggers happy. We all hopped in when we could to get things up to the point where it was ready for more testing, since ultimately there’s only so much you can do without getting a feel for how the map would play out with more people on it.

Right around the Holidays was when the first Battle Dome hit the test server, although it wasn’t accessible all the time, we were able to give players a sneak peek of things to come. If you weren’t able to check out the Dome at that time, have no fear, we have a bunch of screenshots that you can check out down below.

Is all we get, a stinkin’ map? Simple answer is, no. The PlanetSide team has some additional grandiose ideas for the maps. Have you ever wanted to have quick matches against rival Outfits to see who really is the best and who’s Outfit is filled with noobs? We’re working to make that more of a reality. Additional ideas that are in the works, exclusive (at this time) for Battle dome consumption, additional kill stats and person of the match type of statistics. In theory these types of stats would be readily available after Battle Dome matches take place through a new sweet UI!

You’ll be hearing more and more about the upcoming Battle Domes in future Development news so be on the look-out. Word around the office is that we’ll be looking at making an indoor MAX Factory for general consumption in the very near future.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Rangerr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:57 pm

I wish they would just make a PS2. They have some good ideas, but the game needs an overhaul instead of touch-ups.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/hook_75/rangerrsig_112.gif[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/Rangerr][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/Rangerr.png[/img][/url]
Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you do about it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero - Horace
Rangerr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Damaen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:59 pm

PSide2 would be so good. so good!

so.. battle domes turns PS into a small, say 32 person, server? where you fight a rival "clan"? why THATS CRAZY. nothing like that on the market at all.

so the answer to declining server populations is to turn the game into, by graphics standards of today, Unreal Tournament c.1994?
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent, I am attacking!
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Damaen wrote:so the answer to declining server populations is to turn the game into, by graphics standards of today, Unreal Tournament c.1994?

lul my thoughts exactly.

a new sweet UI!

I hope that means what I think it means, a new user interface. Planetside has a decent one but it could definately use an overhaul. Heck the whole game needs an overhaul, the code is a mess, but we know that that will never happen. I'll take what I can get.

I enjoyed the 2 free weeks during the holidays enough that I've been itching to resubscribe. Phantasy Star Universe updates have been rather stale lately so it'll be good to leave that for a while since I know when I come back they'll have added abunch of neat stuff that might actually last me through more than just the weekend of the patch. I'm dissapointed that Planetside hasnt had any bugfixes since then. They need to go ahead and re-launch Reserves so that I can have some n00b meat to frag. To me, Planetside was always about the BIG battles. I cant say that I like the initial concept of Battle Domes, but I wont knock it till I've tried it. Just saying, I'd rather be Engineering en masse, and if I wanted to do Engineering in a 32 person server I'd do it in TF2.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Socco » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Maybe they'll fix it on Vista so you don't have to disable a bunch of services and run it in administrator-Windows 95 mode. And disable a laundry list of system services.

Nah, I'm delusional. Seriously, they can't achieve Vista compatibility?
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby cApNhOwDy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:09 am

More like Vista cant achieve game compatibility. Every game that I own and go to a message board to has dozens and dozens of tech support threads talking about trouble running on Vista. Every one of them that has a fix requires that the person do silly out-of-the-way shit in Vista in order to get it to run that wouldnt otherwise need to be done in XP. Microsoft needs to get their shit together. At least XP is getting SP3, which means I wont have to upgrade to Vista until they've come out with SP16 for Vista.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Socco » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am

cApNhOwDy wrote:More like Vista cant achieve game compatibility. Every game that I own and go to a message board to has dozens and dozens of tech support threads talking about trouble running on Vista. Every one of them that has a fix requires that the person do silly out-of-the-way shit in Vista in order to get it to run that wouldnt otherwise need to be done in XP. Microsoft needs to get their shit together. At least XP is getting SP3, which means I wont have to upgrade to Vista until they've come out with SP16 for Vista.

Thus far, PS is the only game I've had trouble with. I didn't even have to do any weird compatiblity fixes; many games, like Halo, automatically downloaded compatibility fixes for me when I installed them.No fuss, easy as pie.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Return to PlanetSide