PlanetSide servers are being merged?

Discuss this famous MMOFPS/RTS game.

PlanetSide servers are being merged?

Postby McGuyver » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Hello Soldiers of Auraxis!

With the goal of maintaining a high level of battle between the three Empires of PlanetSide, the two North American servers, Markov and Emerald, will be merged into one server on May 20, 2008. The new server will be named Gemini to represent the two long standing servers.

When the merge occurs, characters will be given a special merit to represent their loyalty to their former server. Native Markov characters will receive a different merit than their Emerald counterparts which will be obtained and visible upon logging into the Gemini server for the very first time.

A concern that occurs when merging servers is Character Name conflicts. What happens if there are two characters with the same name from the two servers? Who gets the name and who has to change their name? The rules below will help to explain the different scenarios that may occur during the merge process as well as the rules for Outfit Name conflicts.

Character Name Conflict Rules

* Players that have logged into their character during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge will have priority to the character name.
* If both players have logged into their character during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge, priority goes to the player that created the character name first.
* If neither player has logged into their character during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge, priority still goes to the player that created the character name first.
* Characters that are deemed to have the lower priority duplicate name based on the rules described above will have a "-M" (for Markov characters) or an "-E" (for Emerald characters) added to the end of their name.
* Any player that receives the "-M" or "-E" to the end of their character name will be able to change their name by using the following command in game: /rename <currentname> <new>
* There is no deadline for name change completion, but once a name is changed it cannot be changed again.

Example of a Name Conflict: If "Thom" from Markov was created before "Thom" from Emerald, then "Thom" from Markov would remain the same and "Thom" from Emerald would become "Thom-E" on Gemini.

Outfit Name Conflict Rules

Duplicated Outfit Names will change similar to duplicated Character Names.

* Priority will be given to the Outfit name created first. The Outfit name created second will be deemed the duplicate name.
* Outfit Names that are deemed to have the duplicate Outfit Name will have a "-M" (for Markov Outfits) or an "-E" (for Emerald Outfits) added to the end of their Outfit Name.
* Outfits with a duplicate name containing the "-M" or "-E" suffix, will be allowed to change their Outfit Name. Outfit Leaders will be permitted to change the Outfit Name while in game with the command: /outfitrename <new>
* There is no deadline for name change completion, but once a name is changed it cannot be changed again.

Thank you for your patronage to the PlanetSide community. The server merge will help to keep the battlefield rich with excitement as we head into the next year of adventure.

-Thom Terrazas / PlanetSide Team

Additional FAQ

* When will the Markov and Emerald Servers be merged together?
o May 20, 2008
* Which PlanetSide servers are being merged?
o The two North American Servers, Markov and Emerald.
* What is the name of the new server formed from the merge of the Markov and Emerald Servers?
o Gemini
* In the event of a character name conflict, which character will be given priority?
o Players that have logged into their characters during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge will be given priority to keep their character name.
o However, if both characters have logged into game during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge, then the character created first will keep the name and the character created second will be appended the applicable suffix to represent each server as follows: "-M" for Markov and "-E" for Emerald.
o Additionally, if neither character has logged into game during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge, then the character created first will be given priority over the character created second and will be given the appropriate suffix: "-M" for Markov and "-E" for Emerald.
* Will I have a better chance to keep my character name if I have logged into my character recently?
o You will have a greater chance to keep your character name if the player on the other server that is about to be merged with your server has not logged into that character during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge.
o Priority to keep the character name will be given to the character that was created first. The only exception to this rule is if one of the two players has not logged into that character during the ninety (90) day period immediately preceding the server merge.
* If I have a duplicate character name, how can I change the name?
o Players can use the /rename <new> command to change their name. Naming policies still apply for this rename process.
* Only character names that experienced a Naming Conflict during the server merge will be able to rename their character. No other character renames will be permitted.
* What happens if there are two Outfits with the same name?
o The Outfit that created the name first will be given priority and will keep their name. The second Outfit will be given the appropriate suffix: "-M" for Markov and "-E" for Emerald.
* Can Outfit names be changed after the merge?
o Only Outfits that were appended with a "-M" for Markov or an "-E" for Emerald will be able to change their name. The Outfit leader will be permitted to use the following command to change the Outfit name: /outfitrename <new>
* If you have more than eight characters on Emerald and Markov combined, you will still be able to access all characters on the new server, Gemini.
o Up to sixteen characters can be accessed on Gemini after the servers have been merged.
o After the servers have been merged, you will not be permitted to create characters if you have eight or more characters on the Gemini server. Therefore, if you have sixteen characters after the merge, you will be able to delete characters down (to 15, 14, etc...) but you will not be able to create additional characters if you have eight or more.
* Character Statistics on MyPlanetSide may not immediately report correct statistics after the server merge. We will work diligently to correct those issues as soon as reasonably practicable.
* Reserve, Trial and Rental Accounts that did not convert to a fully-paid and entitled subscription prior to March 31, 2007 will have all characters on such accounts deleted, will not be eligible to have characters moved to the Gemini server as part of the server merge and will no longer have access to characters on those accounts after the server merge (May 20, 2008 ).
Mac
McGuyver
Outfit Commander
Outfit Commander

Postby Droxor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 am

For sure, TRx is doing a massive resurgence in training before the merge so that we can keep our title.
--
That being said, I think allot of outfits/players will come back to fuller strength because of the higher level populations and fights.
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:42 pm

YES!

That's all I can say.

YES!!!!

May 19th, I resubscribe to Planetside.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Gunther » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 pm

So, when is PlanetSide II coming out?
The new and revised version of this POC game.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Droxor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:42 am

Gunther wrote: POC

Gunther. . .language, please.
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby HeavyArmsCustum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 am

PS2 better be made by someone other then SOE, we all can agree on that. I'll probably resub about the 18th or so. Maybe.
HeavyArmsCustum
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm just gonna have to overclock the E8400 to 4 gig to compensate for the oncomming lag lol.. I look forward to it ... Should be a blast.
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, the PlanetSide client is a total pig. I have 4GB of memory on Vista (which, BTW, is compatible without hackery with every game BUT PlanetSide, which must be run with administrative priveleges and in Windows 95- that's right, WINDOWS 95- Compatibility mode to run).

With 4GB of Ram and a 256MB 3850 Radeon I can finally play PS smoothly! ;)
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Rangerr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:20 am

So I got an email saying I can come back and play for free until like May 21st or something.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/hook_75/rangerrsig_112.gif[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/Rangerr][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/Rangerr.png[/img][/url]
Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you do about it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero - Horace
Rangerr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby rhonnin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:04 am

I got the same e-mail, and that the merger happens on may 22.
So they want to taunt us with the empty servers or something? Some kind of punishment for canceling our subs I guess.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to PlanetSide