Johnny Damon is a Yankee

No smelly socks or jocks here just some good ranting about your favorite team.

Johnny Damon is a Yankee

Postby BCoop » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:06 am

It is 100% true.
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby roadrunner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:23 am

Wow. This is my biggest beef with professional sports now. Teams don't keep players that have become the face of the team. It's all about the cash. You cheer for clothing nowadays that its.

I was listening to ESPN radio and you hear people saying that Brett Favre should look for another team that may need one more piece to get them to the Super Bowl. I am not a Brett Favre or packer fan but him going to play for another team would just seem wrong.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:33 pm

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :(
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby HeavyArmsCustum » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:57 pm

Why am i not shocked?
And Favre ill never leave GB. I hear ESPN radio and i laugh when i hear that talk.
HeavyArmsCustum
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby BCoop » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:20 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Wow. This is my biggest beef with professional sports now. Teams don't keep players that have become the face of the team. It's all about the cash. You cheer for clothing nowadays that its.

I was listening to ESPN radio and you hear people saying that Brett Favre should look for another team that may need one more piece to get them to the Super Bowl. I am not a Brett Favre or packer fan but him going to play for another team would just seem wrong.

Well, in the Yankees defense, Damon was pretty much the only free agent, starter quailty centerfielder this year. The Yankees were originally going to trade for Juan Pierre or Torii Hunter, but Pierre was dealt to the Cubs and the Twins wanted to rape NY for Hunter. There was talk of trading for Joey Gallaway or Carl Crawford, but it wouldn't serve the Devil Rays to help out a division rival.

And Brett Farve looking to be traded is just dumbness. When Ahman Green and Javon Walker come back next year (and who knows, maybe Reggie Bush?) the Packers are going to be up to their usual par. Hopefully, the GM won't be a moron and will get some defensive players and o linemen, and then the team will be complete.

Gunther wrote::( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :(

The sawx are in trouble this year.
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby HeavyArmsCustum » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Green bay needs a lot more then Reggie Bush and a few offensive linemen.
They need a whole new team.
The team gave up 48, 48 to the RAVENS.
I'mt not a GB fan, but thats a hard fall from grace.

The Yankees were in a bind, they needed a center-fielder. So why not pick up your biggest rivals lead of hitter, center-fielder, and face of the team, all in the same boat.
Lovely.
HeavyArmsCustum
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Yet again another reason why....

YANKEES SUCK! :evil:
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:49 pm

This also brings up another bitch I have about the MLB. There are a ton of teams that need a center fielder but don't have the cash to outbid and overpay like the yanks (and Boston too). Granted this does not always lead to winning the world series as has been proven over the last several years. This turns off smaller market team fans as myself who watch the players of the team they follow get gobbled up once they establish themselves. This in the long term will be very damaging to baseball.

I admit I did get some pleasure to see one of these teams that does this to others get burned at their own game. I can't remember the last time I read a story that the yanks did not sign someone because of the money. Oh yeah that is because it doesn't happen.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby BCoop » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:19 pm

Until baseball institutes a salary cap, there is going to be a big discrepancy, and even then, it wouldn't help much. The Yankees have an average attendance of about 51,000 people per game. That 51,000 buys their tickets, overpriced food, merchandise, and beer, 162 times a year. Now look at the D-Rays. Their average attendance is in the low 20,000's, and they never have revenue from playoff tickets. Which one is going to have more to spend? The Rays have a 29 million dollar payroll. Do you realize what would happen to the MLB if they made a rule that teams could only spend that much? A new league would be started and the good players would go there. A cap doesn't fit the sport, either. There is a lot more movement between teams than in any other sport, and it would be an absolute financial nightmare.

And Gunther, I didn't want Johnny, I wanted a young up-and-coming centerfielder. At 32, Damon will probably be prime for retirement by the end of his contract.

And to be fair, HAC, the Ravens have had the opportunity to put up big numbers all year. Between Todd Heap, Derek Mason, Clayton, and Jamal Lewis, they should be big time playoff contenders. Jamal Lewis finally had a decent game and Boller actually looked better than a backup QB. Although I probably should have added the fact the GB could use a few more defensive backs. :) I'm telling you, though, give Favre a decent target, and the Packers will get by. Look what happened last year, they started 1-4 and won 8 (or 10, can't remember) straight to clinch a playoff spot, and the team was almost exatcly the same as the Packers team that started its preseason this year.
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby roadrunner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:27 pm

Yankees payroll - 205,938,439 the next largest (Boston) 121,311,945 with only one other team above 100 million. Baseball salaries are out of control mostly because of the spending by the big market teams. It is in their best interest to overpay as it drives the price of players out of reach for many clubs. What they have essentially done is converted the smaller market teams into a pseudo farm system for them. The salaries have only recently been increasing at this unbelievable rate I would say that the impact on Baseball as a whole has yet to be felt. Attendance is just a part of the revenue as Cleveland sold out Jacob's Field for 6 years (park holds 43,000) but ultimately they could not compete when revenues started getting out of control. They lost their core to big market clubs.

I see the same thing living in Detroit but I'm not a Tiger fan. They drastically overspend for a couple of mediocre players because they have to be seen as doing something. This locks them into bad contracts which ties up their budget for when a few of their young prospects start to shine. New York or Boston will then just overpay for those players because teams like Detroit cannot afford to match the offers. It's a vicious circle that is getting worse every year. This is bad for all baseball and if they don't get a salary cap the effect will start to be felt.

Apathy in smaller markets is growing and the game cannot be sustained by just a few big markets unless you want to see NY play Boston 40 games a year in their 8 team league. Personally I have been a huge baseball fan all my life but if this trend continues I will lose all interest in it.

As for another league, never. Just ask the USFL, XFL and the Indy racing league (IRL) how that has worked out for them. There are too many examples of that not working for any sane person to try it again.

If I was a betting man I would put a ton of money down that at the next agreement there will some sort of cap.

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Locker Room