Rutgers

No smelly socks or jocks here just some good ranting about your favorite team.

Rutgers

Postby Rangerr » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Somebody forgot to invite the Louisville O-line to Rutgers Stadium. That was a pathetic display of blocking, especially in the second half. And how about that defensive back Gay, whose offsides penalty on the missed field goal pretty much cost Louisville the game.

So does Rutgers deserve BCS discussion and maybe even some title shot talk. I think if they win impressively over their next two opponets and then beat WVU they deserve a top 5 ranking and maybe even a title shot, depending on how some of these 1 loss teams look in the closing weeks.

Also, Rutgers is automatically the Cinderella story for this year, and if they win out they are the story of the decade in all sports. No one could have possibly imagined this type of season, not even Rutgers head coach.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/hook_75/rangerrsig_112.gif[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/Rangerr][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/Rangerr.png[/img][/url]
Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you do about it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero - Horace
Rangerr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BCoop » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:23 am

I'm not sure that Rutgers will get a title shot. I have a feeling that they are going to get screwed by the fact that people insist that they have an easy schedule. Also, which title game will garner more money for the NCAA; a Michigan/OSU and Rutgers undefeated showdown or Round 2 of Michigan vs. OSU?
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby roadrunner » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:08 am

The BCS stinks and this year is shaping up to further drive that point home. True if Rutgers runs the table it would be a good season and they did all they could to make a case but put them on the field with a one loss team from the SEC and I don't think they will be in the game. If the goal is to truly to let the best team be crowned the national champion you will never get it with the BCS.

People will say that they will get screwed if they don't get a shot but I would rather see a SEC team or maybe Texas/USC play the winner of OSU/Michigan. If not you are looking at a rutgers beat down in the title game which is not good for the NCAA but maybe will show again how bad is the BCS system.

As a OSU fan I really hope that even if they lose (very remote chance :) ) against Michigan they don't play in the title game. That would also be bad for the game.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Rangerr » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:04 am

USC probably won't even get a BCS game this year and they will be lucky if they don't lose three more games before the season is over. They have had a pretty lax schedule up till now and have underperformed in almost every game. They have Oregon, Cal and ND left to play. But if they can win out then they should be in title talk.

Rutgers is getting a bad rap. Case in point, they held Louisville, the second ranked offense, to 25 points. Their (louisville) avg. for points per game was 39. Rutgers back up running back/fullback (Brian Leonard) could have easily went pro last and now he doesn't even start. Ray Rice their now starting running back is a heisman candidate, so they have back depth. I am not saying that they could beat a OSU, Mich, or a top SEC team. But I don't think they would get blown out.

Coop you are overlooking the fact that Rutgers fan base is NY city. While round two of OSU/Mich would garner great attention from their fans, people outside of their fanbase would be very pissed at that.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/hook_75/rangerrsig_112.gif[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/Rangerr][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/Rangerr.png[/img][/url]
Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you do about it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero - Horace
Rangerr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby roadrunner » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:18 am

The problem is that Louisville had the 2nd rank offense but it was achieved against the teams they played. It is so hard to use stats like the top ranked defense and offense because teams for the most part don't play common opponents. Rutgers is playing good right now but I don't think they will go undefeated as they have a few tough games ahead of them. If they beat west va then maybe the discussion get interesting but until then I personally can't see them worthy of playing in the title game.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby BCoop » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Rangerr wrote:Coop you are overlooking the fact that Rutgers fan base is NY city. While round two of OSU/Mich would garner great attention from their fans, people outside of their fanbase would be very pissed at that.

I don't know about that. I live in the NY metro area and I would say that most people don't care too much about college football because of the lack of perennial football powerhouses in the area. While Rutgers is popular in Jersey, and I think New York is warming up to the idea of a good college football team less than 200 miles away, it's going to take more than one good season to turn NYC into Ohio or Michigan. NY is an NFL town. There are also as shitload more fans around the country of OSU/Mich than Rutgers, as well as more alumni.
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby BCoop » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Also, apparently Ray Rice went to high school a half hour from me and went to a block and tackle camp with a bunch of my friends. Why didn't I know this?
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby Droxor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:30 am

I'm just mad because it's the second game i Bet on the entire College year so far. . .the other one was Irish Vs Spartans and I won that in style 8)
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Locker Room