tech issue

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

tech issue

Postby Damaen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:00 pm

my friend and i are having issues with his new comp. heres what we're seeing.

bought a new custom computer on Tuesday, and have been having problems off and on ever since. Tuesday night as I'm busy loading programs, the screen starts going black for about 2-3 seconds at a time then coming back on. This happens intermittently, and starts happening more and more frequently over time.

I figure it's probably a video card issue so I try updating the drivers, no help there. I take the computer back, they replace the video card (eVGA GeForce 7900 GT KO). I get it home, start reinstalling everything again. Turn it off, come back a couple of hours later, it won't boot up windows properly. [it wont load windows at all. i tried it and it just hung on a black screen -Damaen] I have Damaen come over to play around with it and reinstall windows, I reinstall all my programs AGAIN, play some WoW, do some work in MS Office, and then out of nowhere the screen starts going black and coming back I again. At one point, my LCD actually shows No Signal being sent from the video card before the image comes back. I call the tech department at the store where I bought it and the guy thinks it might be a mobo issue (mobo is an Asus P5WD2-E Premium board).

Anybody have any idea as to what might be the issue here? I need to have this rig running smoothly before I move in 2 weeks, so any imput would be appreciated. Thanks!

so fucked up. i formatted and redid everthing fri nigt and it seemed all good.
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:17 pm

I have a very good feeling it's the 7900GT. It seems as if EVERYONE is having problems with them. I had to send back both of the 7900GTs that I originally bought. Neither of them worked, so I sent them back. XFX, one of the companies that produces videocards, closed their forums specifically because they were receiving so much negative feedback concerning their 7900GTs. Other manufacturers are experiencing the same effects. I would suggest getting this X1800XT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102007
It's cheaper than 7900GT and performs essentially the same. I've seen benchmark tests in which their scores literally tied, so you really get some bang for your buck.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: tech issue

Postby Socco » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:04 pm

Damaen wrote:my friend and i are having issues with his new comp. heres what we're seeing...

Okay.

Since the black screening occurs after installing Windows, randomly, I'd discount the monitor, although it couldn't hurt to hook up a different monitor and see if it does the same.

Since you replaced the video card, I'm guessing it could be a few things.

A) Something may be hitting a high temperature. Video can screw up if that happens. Given the fact that it occurs on a reinstall, I doubt this, but it is possible that it would only occur under load.
Try Speedfan:
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

See if anything is above 50c.
50 is alright.
60 is high.
70 is very much a cause for concern.
Anthing above 70 is probably defective, either the component or its fan.

B) I'm thininking the mobo is a definite possibility. You should probably check into that.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Coincidentally, the 7900GT's stock fans idle in the 60s :?
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby jediknight » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:33 am

PSU isnt giveing enough power? or is unstable.
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Postby Damaen » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:21 pm

i dont think its his PS.

today he called me, and ithas reverted back to hanging on boot. this time he gets as far as the windows logo then black screen and nada.

its seriously fucked up. Either the power is faulty, which i guess would explain a lot, or its the mobo. They said they swapped out the vid card, and the only damn thing it all did right was play wow. if it was going to be the vid card wow wouldnt work, id think.
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Socco » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:26 pm

Damaen wrote:i dont think its his PS.

today he called me, and ithas reverted back to hanging on boot. this time he gets as far as the windows logo then black screen and nada.

its seriously fucked up. Either the power is faulty, which i guess would explain a lot, or its the mobo. They said they swapped out the vid card, and the only damn thing it all did right was play wow. if it was going to be the vid card wow wouldnt work, id think.

Don't count the power supply out, in fact, cheap PSUs will destroy video cards. That happened in my computer. It destroyed the fan and it slowly got worse as the card got poorly powered and eventually destroyed.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TheLoneTerran » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:39 pm

Sounds like a mobo problem to me. But the power supply also sounds like a good cause. Prolly just gonna hafta hack it open to fix or something.
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Tech Corner