possible upgrades, opinions?

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

possible upgrades, opinions?

Postby Damaen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:41 pm

So im looking at a new comp this christmas-ish, if i can save the money. Anyone have any opinions?

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
Power Supply: 700 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Graphics Processor: 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20.1" 5ms Flat Panel - Black

ANyone try out one of these PhysX chips? no idea if these things are worth getting yet, tho they sound impressive on paper.

i was reading the thread about floobie's dell monitor. I cant believe ho wmany monitors i look at (price considered) still have a max res of 1200x1040 or whatever it is. thats disgusting. i want 1600x1200 or more and the price gouging is insane. the samsung i found there has decent reviews. i still have my 5(?) year old viewsonic e70f. i hate it. 17 inches BAD
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:07 pm

Dont get a PhysX chip. It only slightly increases FPS in games that support it (which you could buy a better processor/videocard for the same price and get even better results), and in the games that dont support it it actually LOWERS the framerate. I'd say it's a complete waste. Also, nVidia's DX10 cards come out November 8th, might want to consider one of those seeing how you'll be prepared for the first batch of DX10 games. I think I'm also looking at getting that monitor. When/if you get it, lemme know your opinions.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Socco » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:03 pm

cApNhOwDy wrote:Dont get a PhysX chip. It only slightly increases FPS in games that support it (which you could buy a better processor/videocard for the same price and get even better results), and in the games that dont support it it actually LOWERS the framerate. I'd say it's a complete waste. Also, nVidia's DX10 cards come out November 8th, might want to consider one of those seeing how you'll be prepared for the first batch of DX10 games. I think I'm also looking at getting that monitor. When/if you get it, lemme know your opinions.

Capn is right, the PhysX card is (as nearly) as worthless as that KillerNIC or whatever. The few games that support it get a minor boost and those that don't do indeed get a performance hit.

Right again about DX10. The first DX10 games will also be DX9 but all the game makers are moving on to DX10. Not an incremental upgrade; DX10 will be Vista only (they rehauled the display driver system & directx) and that's what they'll all be developing for. Wait it out for a few more months.

Everything else looks great :)

I'm running on a 3.0GHZ Intel P4 (just when HT came out) and a Radeon 9600 using passive cooling. Planetside barely runs.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Damaen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:13 pm

ok Physx is out.

I dont plan on running vista right away - i dont want to deal with all its problems, and i want a -gasp- authentic windows ONCE in my life. so i not going to pay for it. so. if dx10 is vista only...
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby redwarrior666 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Memory: 2GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MB

Memory if you can afford it go with Corsair DDR2 -800 XMS this stuff is great for overclocking
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:44 pm

Damaen wrote:ok Physx is out.

I dont plan on running vista right away - i dont want to deal with all its problems, and i want a -gasp- authentic windows ONCE in my life. so i not going to pay for it. so. if dx10 is vista only...

Windows XP was surprisingly stable at release, but I understand your hesitance running a new version of Windows.

I signed up and got a copy of the Vista RC1- I'll let you know how stable it is.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Return to Tech Corner