of sounds and smells

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

of sounds and smells

Postby Damaen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:16 pm

just curious. i was playing wow when a loud popping sorta noise and flash of light (ty plexiglass) came from the tower. I have no power whatsoever now.

so i assume the PS is dead, because i would get a green light if there was power, right? or would i not get anything if mobo blew up?

and wtf would the light have been. i think it was white or blueish

lol
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby rhonnin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:47 pm

OMGSPLOSION!!!
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby redwarrior666 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Two things come to mind Power Supply or Capacitors on the motherboard. On Cheap Motherboards usually after a couple of years the capacitors tend to leak and poof explode from time to time. Check the tops of the capactitors for any yellow, brown or green stuff.
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FloobieDoobie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:21 pm

Yeah Red's right it sounds like a cap blew out. May be a cap on the mobo but if it was a loud pop it's probable one of the large capacitors in the power supply itself (if you're lucky that is).
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby Damaen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:06 pm

i took it into my store and the tech guy plugged in a spare PS and it all worked.

got home, installed new PS, and system wont boot. says its missing a file or its corrupt, and to repair. sadly i am not sure what to do from the dos-like prompt. so many little options i dont understand. all i want is a 'make new file its missing here' option lol

maybe make a new boot sector? hrm.

and is it standard for PS cords (the ribbon that goes to mobo) to have 4 extra plugs? i mean it still fits in place right but im not using al ths slots. so wierd.

and windoes loaded. did i fix it? i dont know.
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Socco » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Damaen wrote:i took it into my store and the tech guy plugged in a spare PS and it all worked.

got home, installed new PS, and system wont boot. says its missing a file or its corrupt, and to repair. sadly i am not sure what to do from the dos-like prompt. so many little options i dont understand. all i want is a 'make new file its missing here' option lol

maybe make a new boot sector? hrm.

and is it standard for PS cords (the ribbon that goes to mobo) to have 4 extra plugs? i mean it still fits in place right but im not using al ths slots. so wierd.

and windoes loaded. did i fix it? i dont know.

Might have a corrupt windows file from it. Try to repair it and you may need to reinstall if it fails. If it's loading now don't know about it ;)

Count the number of plugs on the motherboard connector and the PS connector. If the mobo has 20 and the PS has 24, don't worry about it; they made the transition from 20pin to 24pin in the past few years. I believe that the idea was to get rid of the seperate 4 pin connector for the processor.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby FloobieDoobie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:56 pm

The 24 pin connector is not compatable with the seperate 4 pin 12V connector. Most new PS's support both in that the extra 4pins on the main connector are able to be detached and have a seperate 4 pin connector.

As for the file what is the error message it's giving you?
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Return to Tech Corner