Ventrilo questions

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Ventrilo questions

Postby cApNhOwDy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:35 am

So I'm figgerin out how to work this here Ventrilo thingy so I can set up a server for people to join in with me on a game that nobody else here plays. So I think I've got it figured out, I know how to at least make and connect to my own server....... but am I just supposed to give out my IP address to the people who I want to join my server? So if I told the wrong people my IP address, couldnt they, like, hack my internets or something like that? I thought that telling people your IP address was a bad thing to do.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby redwarrior666 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Yes you are going to have to give out your IP address for others to connect, just put your firewall up and open the port for the ventrillio and you should be fine.
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby roadrunner » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:49 pm

You can do it but remember that it can and WILL eat up your upstream bandwidth. If you are gaming in a FPS I would not recommend you do it unless you have a connection like socco.

The server requires more bandwidth then the clients do. The bandwidth that gets used is determined by the codec and sample rate as selected by the server administrator. The following examples assume that the server is configured to use the default GSM 6.10 codec at 11KHz sample rate. This will use approximately 3K bytes per second of bandwidth for each active voice stream.

4 people on the same server.
All 4 are in the same channel.
1 Person talking.

= 3K bytes/sec of inbound data.
= 9K bytes/sec of outbound data.

4 people on the same server.
All 4 are in the same channel.
2 people talking.

= 6K bytes/sec of inbound data.
= 18K bytes/sec of outbound data.

As you can see the mathematics are very simple. The more people in the same channel equates to the more bandwidth consumed, and it gets worse if more then one person is talking. This also places a greater burden on the clients as well if more then one person in the same channel is talking, which is one of the primary reasons that dial-up users won't care to much for the GSM codec.

As mentioned, these numbers are for the GSM codec. Instructing the server to use a different codec (which all clients will be forced to use) will effect how much bandwidth is consumed. To see a list of currently supported codec's you can issue the following in a command prompt window and the server will display a list of supported codec's and associated formats. See the "ventrilo_srv.htm" for more details.

For the public version of Vent it will always use the port # 3784 even though it looks like you can change it in the ini file. This is the port you will need to forward thru your router.

Now with all that said you are more than welcome to use our server we have more than enough slots to support it. I can make you an admin so that you can setup channels you need. Admin will also give you the ability to randomly kick lone from the server when you get bored.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby cApNhOwDy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Update, is there any way on the free version to make little subsections (WoW, Planetside, etc) instead of one big lobby? I dont see an obvious way to do that.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby rhonnin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Probably not, as I recall, the free version has an 8 person maximum so I imagine a lot of the features are disabled.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby jediknight » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 pm

cApNhOwDy wrote:Update, is there any way on the free version to make little subsections (WoW, Planetside, etc) instead of one big lobby? I dont see an obvious way to do that.

why not use teamspeak? I know u can setup sub channel's in it.
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Postby cApNhOwDy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:06 am

Most people prefer Ventrilo. I personally have no preference, although I cant seem to get TeamSpeak to recognize my USB controller when I want to assign a button on it to push to talk, whereas Ventrilo makes it a breeze. Though only 8 people kinda sucks, I aint bitchin since it's free. I might just go ahead and buy one, I'd definately put it to use once I got my Halo PC and Tribes: Vengeance dedicated servers up and running once again.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby roadrunner » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:27 am

If you want you can use the tE server. It never get anywhere near the number of slots. Just give a shout and we can setup an area for you to use and whatever channels you need.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Tech Corner