Hey Road, what phpBB plugin stops the spam?

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Hey Road, what phpBB plugin stops the spam?

Postby Socco » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:32 am

Yo Road,

Sorry to bug ya, but I have a friend who is having a *lot* of spambots on hist forums. It's annoying as hell.

BUT, they always put an MSN, AIM name, occupation, interest, and/or website.

I notice that you use a plugin on these forums:
IMPORTANT: leave the Profile Information blank!

Do not fill in any of the following Profile Information fields, else it will cause the registration process to fail. This is for security purposes; it prevents automatic sign-up robots (spambots) from registering, because they always fill in some of the fields.

Note: you can still provide Profile Information after your account has been created.

What plugin does that, and where can we get it?

Thanks! :D
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby roadrunner » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:57 pm

First I assume its a phpbb forum or else it won't work. I installed a few anti-bot/spam and this one seems to be the most effective. A few get through but by far it has kept the board pretty much spammer free.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=435694

Modding a phpbb forum is pretty easy just have to be careful when text editing. If you need help let me know.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Socco » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:02 pm

RoadRunner wrote:First I assume its a phpbb forum or else it won't work. I installed a few anti-bot/spam and this one seems to be the most effective. A few get through but by far it has kept the board pretty much spammer free.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=435694

Modding a phpbb forum is pretty easy just have to be careful when text editing. If you need help let me know.

Thanks Road, I may take you up on the offer for help. It's a phpBB forum with a massive bot problem- no actual humans spamming, just robots that make up random names.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Damaen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:48 pm

phpbb3 is pretty fantastic for spam as far as i have seen so far. This is still2, yeah?
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent, I am attacking!
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby roadrunner » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:40 pm

This is phpbb 2 and the CN forums are a RC version of phpbb 3 PHPBB 3 has many functions that I modified this board to include plus some that I don't have. The nice thing is that since it is included in the base release updating to new version won't be the pain it is now. Every time I update I have to manually edit a bunch of files because of the mods.

I will go to it once it is officially released.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Tech Corner