Floobie Win2k3 R2

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Floobie Win2k3 R2

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:14 pm

I updated or upgraded our forest to R2 now I have to do some more reading on R2. The air conditioner quit and when I opened the door to our server room I got a face blast of hot 120 degree air. (early in the morning) While the air was out I shut everything down and left a few servers up to do the R2 update. I guess it's time to hit up some white papers form MS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby rhonnin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Nice, another pr0n post. *runs to grab a box of tissue*
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby FloobieDoobie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Schema Master is one of the FSMO roles. Basically it's the only one that can make changes to the AD Schema. I'm guessing that since you have some servers down that the schema master isn't able to replicate with all it's partners. Check on the Repl topology for that server and make sure that it gets a good relp cycle with the other servers. Also when upgrading make sure that all 5 fsmo role holders are on line and that there is a GC in the site.
To find the FSMO role holders just type : c:\netdom query fsmo (this only works if you have the support tools installed) toher wise you can do: c:\regsrvr32 schmmgmt.dll to install the mmc dll for the schema mmc tool. Then just open a blank mmc and add the schema tool and them right-click it and select Operations Master to see the schema master.

Don't forget that there is both a forestprep and domainprep.

And oh yeah, the Forrest Functional level is seperate from the Domain Functional Level.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby rhonnin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:26 pm

FloobieDoobie wrote:Schema Master is one of the FSMO roles. Basically it's the only one that can make changes to the AD Schema. I'm guessing that since you have some servers down that the schema master isn't able to replicate with all it's partners. Check on the Repl topology for that server and make sure that it gets a good relp cycle with the other servers. Also when upgrading make sure that all 5 fsmo role holders are on line and that there is a GC in the site.
To find the FSMO role holders just type : c:\netdom query fsmo (this only works if you have the support tools installed) toher wise you can do: c:\regsrvr32 schmmgmt.dll to install the mmc dll for the schema mmc tool. Then just open a blank mmc and add the schema tool and them right-click it and select Operations Master to see the schema master.

Don't forget that there is both a forestprep and domainprep.

And oh yeah, the Forrest Functional level is seperate from the Domain Functional Level.

*fap fap fap*
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:37 pm

got it ..Yes all 5 roles are on one server so that is good and the update so far has worked. The only issue I'm having now is time. I really wish we could do away with daylight savings time. I'm trying to get the time sync starightened out. As I have read the PDC emulator is the time server for the domain and right now when I do a net time in a command prompt I get another server besides the Server holding the role as PDC emulator. Time sync is off somehow. LOL Rhonnin you should get into the industry....start studying or reading about this stuff... I love doing this stuff it's what keeps me alive sad.. but true.. I live for technology it's my crack... I once a long time ago was a main-line junkie and now it's technolgy for my fix.
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FloobieDoobie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:00 pm

Your PDC master is you r time server by default. You probably want to sync with one of the public time servers also which requires that you make a couple reg entries. Here's a link to the ms kb:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
I use one of the military ones, I'll post it tomorrow morning since I already turned off my laptop and it's on one of my 'working docs' on there.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby Henray » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:43 am

Not to poke fun at the tech guys, lord knows we need em, but rhonnin's post made me laugh out loud, hard. Took me about 15 minutes to recover. Thanks rhonnin!!

Henray
Henray
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby FloobieDoobie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:02 am

Hey Rhonin, when does your 2008 Men of Geek Squad Calendar come in?
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby redwarrior666 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:44 pm

Thanks Floobie, well another day of broken air conditioner. This is the 3rd time this week, I really wondering how many more hits our Noc can take before servers and switches completely fail... LOL
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Gunther » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm

redwarrior666 wrote:well another day of broken air conditioner.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
We're getting ready for another New England Winter here. Yea, no AC could be a real problem :eek: :cry: :eek:
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Tech Corner