Floobie Important Question Please help

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Floobie Important Question Please help

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:05 pm

Floobie I need to ask a question: Should group policy turn off the Windows Installer Service. I recently updated the domain to R2 and now all of a sudden we are having weird issues. One of those issues many machines the windows installer service is shut down and disabled? I've been trying to read more on this but I really think the Default domain policy should not shut down the Windows Installer Service , after all how is a user going to install anything if this service is down and disabled. Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated.

Red
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FloobieDoobie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:22 pm

No you really don't want this in the defualt domain policy. The reason being that it applies to all computers and users. You can tag it to users by using the gpo setting in the users section. This is normally where you would set this option as it's normally just to keep out certain users (read Non admins) and can be piggybacked on another basic user gpo.
This is one of those GPO settings that can be set in 2 places. Not only is it in the User Configuration it is also in the Computer configuration. This is really helpfull for when you're trying to lock down a group of lab or kiosk machines. Bad thing is that the order of GPO application is computer then user, so to truely lock a computer you need to enable 'loopback processing' this in effect applies the computer gpo settings again AFTER the user settings, thereby maintaining the per computer settings.
Long story short, make it a user setting either by placing it on your non-administrative user OU's or by filtering the policy to not include admins on the GPO. If you do it this way you can actually place it at the domain level (but not IN the default domain plolicy) and simply filter it for the groups you want.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Thank You
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks again Floobie I was in Panic mode I had to calm myself down. The issue was RPC service causes the Windows Installer to not respond. It's an old issue with XP service pack 2 but we never expirenced it until now? I guess welcome to 2005 for us LOL....
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FloobieDoobie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:47 pm

I was wondering what was up since R2 doesn't set that gpo by default.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Return to Tech Corner