Case fan speed

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Case fan speed

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:39 pm

If I plug a case fan into a 4pin molex, will that make it run automatically at max speed?
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Damaen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:38 pm

fans take like zero power to run. i can imagine what you would have to do to NOT make it run at max speed.

unless you have a setting on it. my antec gamer case fans have little switches for 3 settings, the greatest of which i refer to as NOISY HURRICANE and creates a sort of tornado direectly above it.
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent, I am attacking!
Damaen
Colonel
Colonel

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Well I've been living with THE LOUDEST power supply for the last 2 years so what you may consider to be a tornado might be a mosquito's fart for me.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Socco » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:28 pm

Yeah, the fan will run max speed unless there is a controller between the two. Directly, automatic max speed. It may or may not be noisy, depending on the fan. Ball bearings are usually a bit noisier, but usually last much longer than sleeve fans.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Sweet, thanks for the input, that question has been bugging me. Would the fans for my CPU and VGA cooler also run at max speed if I used a 3pin to 4pin adapter?
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Socco » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:47 pm

cApNhOwDy wrote:Sweet, thanks for the input, that question has been bugging me. Would the fans for my CPU and VGA cooler also run at max speed if I used a 3pin to 4pin adapter?

Yeah, although most mobos flip if you don't use the provided CPU_FAN header. It thinks you have no fan plugged in.

Most mobos are thermally regulated and will crank the fan to full when needed. Most VGA coolers are thermally regulated too.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby cApNhOwDy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:29 am

That's good to know, thanks for the input.
cApNhOwDy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Tech Corner