Safari

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Safari

Postby rhonnin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Does anyone else use it?
I installed it a while back for checking my page layouts and just decided to use it some for browsing. It seems to use fewer resources and load faster than FF, especially noticable on places like the painfully slow MHA forums.
Hopefully there are some nifty extensions for it like there is for FF.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Safari

Postby Socco » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Rhonnin wrote:Does anyone else use it?
I installed it a while back for checking my page layouts and just decided to use it some for browsing. It seems to use fewer resources and load faster than FF, especially noticeable on places like the painfully slow MHA forums.
Hopefully there are some nifty extensions for it like there is for FF.

Mac or Windows? I'm assuming Windows here.

Firefox does have some issues with "memory bloat"; it tends to keep quite a bit in RAM. I use it because I love the customizability and know how to tweak it (there are ways to disable prefetching and other stuff).

On script heavy sites, Firefox tends to choke a bit.

What do you mean "slow"; do you get "scripts are not responding" messages?

Safari is one of the better OSX browsers; for Windows, I'd say either Opera or Firefox. Opera lacks some of the customizability of FF but is a solid browser with extremely quick page loading, it has a BT client built in (if you want to use the download manager), mouse gestures, etc.

The great thing about Opera is it's not invasive with the extra features; you can use them, or not (and they don't get in the way).
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby rhonnin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I have Opera installed as well my issue with it is that it tends to be very wonky about page display, I mean they all claim to be compliant but Opera seems to be less so than most and many times pages don't display properly with menus and other elements missing or misaligned.
What I mean by slow is the page hanging during loading or images taking a long time, also been getting a lot of time outs, I thought it was an issue with my connection but I am not getting anything like that with safari.
I like the streamlined look and loading speed of safari but I can't live without my UD toolbar on FF. :wink:
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Socco » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Rhonnin wrote:I have Opera installed as well my issue with it is that it tends to be very wonky about page display, I mean they all claim to be compliant but Opera seems to be less so than most and many times pages don't display properly with menus and other elements missing or misaligned.
What I mean by slow is the page hanging during loading or images taking a long time, also been getting a lot of time outs, I thought it was an issue with my connection but I am not getting anything like that with safari.
I like the streamlined look and loading speed of safari but I can't live without my UD toolbar on FF. :wink:

That's weird, Safari is slow on my PC (1.8GHZ laptop Pentium M, 3GB RAM).

What error messages are you getting exactly? Are there any particular pages you're having trouble with that I could test for you? What ISP do you have? Who provides your DNS service (if you have no idea what that means, it's your ISP). Cable? DSL? FiOS? Operating System, firewall? Any recent changes? Did it happen immediately, and is it intermittent?
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Return to Tech Corner