Making my own forums/site?

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Making my own forums/site?

Postby Droxor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:56 pm

So I have never done this before (except on Guild Portal, which I do not want to use) And Im completely clueless.

What I want is to have a website with its own domain name (i.e. www.MerchantsGuild.com/org/net w/e) where I can settup forums as well.

1 - Where do I go for that
2 - How do I design it
3 - How much does something that that cost?
----
My plan is to make a Pirate of the Burning Sea community dedicated to Merchants and Traders, however I have stumbled across the fact that on my server there is no website set up yet to co-ordinate Raids on Ports, so I have begun gathering numerous amounts of Community names to contact once I have a site that does that.

I am taking the opportunity of the 1 website everyone will use to co-ordinate raids, and will also use this to advertise the Merchants Guild I will be making.

These forums will also have a members section where my merchants can talk to each other, trade, get price rates and overall community.
----
However I have no idea how to do any of this as far as the site goes and thought I would ask you guys for help :D
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby FloobieDoobie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 pm

I use 1and1.com and they are pretty cheap, I pay 9$ a month for a couple gigs of through put, 2500 email addresses, 5 domains and up to 50 mySQL databases.

There are a ton of guild styled web sites out there just take a look at a fewe of them and see how much customization you can handle, examples are phpBB and SimpleMachinesForums
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby McGuyver » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 pm

If anyone knows a cheap place for web hosting and a decent web designer I could use a few good leads. I would like to start my own dog training/ Kennel and would need a nice website to help get things going. I'm also working on names for my new company as well. So any thoughts and or suggestions would be great.
Mac
McGuyver
Outfit Commander
Outfit Commander

Postby FloobieDoobie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:26 pm

Bad Newz Kennels ?
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby Droxor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 am

K so I got the domain from GoDaddy.com, great price.

I used IfroggyHosting.com for the actual pages, again good price for all I need.

www.MerchantsGuild.org should be up in a few days :D
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Tech Corner