New Vid Card

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

New Vid Card

Postby jonnylaw » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Hello Enforcers.

I was hoping someone here could help me out, since I have almost zero computer knowledge. I just upgraded my vid card from an 8600gt to an 8800gt. I also changed my psu from 300w to 430w. I was hoping for some improved gameplay in planetside, but I get the exact same fps as before (175 at hart door). I don't understand how this could be. I'm running an AMD Athlon 3800 with 2gigs of ram.

As I said before I know zilch about comps, so any thoughts on why I had no improvement would be great. Thanks.
jonnylaw
Private
Private

Postby jediknight » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:53 pm

You may not be pushing it hard. What rez You play at? use AA? At low rez the fps prob wouldnt go up much.
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Postby jonnylaw » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Jedi.

I play at 1920x1200. I just went in game and pushed every setting as high as it would go. I saw a slight increase in frames (200 at hart) and gameplay was as smooth as when I had the settings lower. Is my cpu holding it back from going any higher? I'm just trying to get the smoothest gameplay I can.
jonnylaw
Private
Private

Postby rhonnin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I think with PS there's only going to be so much performance you will get no matter what you do.
I remember it used to me more cpu dependent than video, not sure if that is still the case.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:48 pm

Question have you gone into your machine.ini and set the resolution to that of your monitor. I run a 22 inch wide screen and as soon as I set my machine.ini to 1680X1050 PS was a whole different game. The game is so much smoother and less laggy. Look in pic where hieght and width are by the red dot located in the Sony directory as machine.ini
Also I run a 8800 GTS 4 gigs Ram Vista 64 bit and an E8400 Intel processor . That processor and vid card you have should be good for PS

red
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby jonnylaw » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

I have a 24 inch widescreen, so 1920x1200 is my native resolution. I double checked and it is set at that.

I have also heard that ps is cpu dependent. Does it help to have a dual core for ps?

I just spent an hour messing with my settings. I find it so strange that no matter how high or low I had my settings, I got about the same performance. LOL, I played with flowers, shadows, and even shoreline effect on. So even though my frames are about the same I get all the eye candy now (if you can say ps has any). I'm pretty happy with the way things are, I just was expecting more.
jonnylaw
Private
Private

Postby jediknight » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 am

I think ur cpu limited. and no PS doesnt use dual core cpu's. Cpu Limited mean's basicly you're Graphic's card is waiting for your cpu to do it's work.
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Return to Tech Corner