Windows XP Service Pack 3

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Postby Socco » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 am

Will be released on MSDN, TechNet, and oem.microsoft.com later today (4/21)

Will be released to Windows/Microsoft Update (update.microsoft.com) and Microsoft Downloads (microsoft.com/downloads) on 4/29.

Will be "Pushed" to computers with automatic updating on starting 6/10.

I'm reinstalling today (an HP printer driver screwed up a whole svchost tree and my PC needs the reinstall anyways), so we'll see how it is after a slipstream.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby roadrunner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:02 am

Interesting. Any new things of note Socco or just bug fixing?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Socco » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:59 pm

It's bug stomping. It includes over 1000 patches, many of which were not publicly released. Two new features (Black hole routing and something else). Not a feature adding upgrade, but benchmarks have shown it to be more stable and slightly quicker.

Microsoft deviated slightly from its previous schedule; regular users will be able to get it starting the 29th still, but MSDN/TechNet/OEMs will have to wait. Too bad, I was prepped for the reinstall today.

If you're interested in the details, find them here.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:31 pm

It's on MSDN and TechNet now, if anyone wants to send it to me, you can drop it here (I don't have either of those :( )
http://dropbox.yousendit.com/socco
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm

I managed to find SP3 on...uh...other sites, but I had a reliable news source verify the MD5 (so it wasn't tampered with). I've slipstreamed my Dell reinstall CD without errors, and I have a full image of my hard drive in case something goes amiss. Hopefully I'll be back here soon with success.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Back with zero issues. I'm reinstalling my software now. Idling at 104MB without antivirus/other background tasks, but that's pretty good. It's nice to not have 5 billion updates on Windows Update.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 pm

If anyone wants to download XP SP3 early (for whatever reason), but they don't have a TechNet/MSDN subscription, PM me and I will supply you with a link. No ads, no waiting time, no unreadable CAPACHAs, just a download link that's supplying 200 kilobytes per second (so, 1.4 mbps).
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby redwarrior666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short.... Hows SP3 woring out dose it feel faster?
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 pm

I've noticed a definite speed improvement, although that could just be a result of the fresh install. Even then, things seem zippier once I got my programs installed.

Benchmarks have shown it to be 10% faster, if I remember correctly, and it contains fixes not publicly released before.

EDIT: I have Ubuntu Linux 8.04 installed alongside XP, and both are running great. Ubuntu easily repartitioned the Windows Drive to make space for itself, and I have a nice dual boot going.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Socco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:51 pm

And the update should be open for anyone not using unusual business software (Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System) at update.microsoft.com ...
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Next

Return to Tech Corner