Calling all anti-virus pros

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Calling all anti-virus pros

Postby Droxor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 am

So, I had a virus show up on my computer while I was out of town for a few days (Family used it. . .ugh) and when I got back it was a decently bad one. . .but nothing to bad. Just the traditional Popups with 'MANDATORY ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMS' and my brackground being changed.

I ran my Anti-Malaware, SpyBot and Adaware several times. . .found quite a few infections, removed them did a double check. . .all was back and well (or so I thought). Everything was back to normal after only a few hours.

My PC is 100%, both in speed and processes. However when using ANYTHING internet based (Web Browser, AIM, MSN, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak) it experiences major lag while ESTABLISHING a link. All other programs run perfectly once the link is established, minus the Web Browsers (Both IE and FireFox). So once AIM or Vent is up. . .it runs fine. . .however Browsers maintain the lag.

Now. . .my question is. 1) Even though the virus is gone, why are my net apps not running properly. 2) Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

I've used every scan. . .search. . .and trick I know when dealing with viruses because I've had my fair share. However I've never had an after effect like this that was so apparent and I cannot find ANY other virus or wierd program on my machine.

Thanks in advance.
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby redwarrior666 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 am

My PC is 100%, both in speed and processes

Do you mean your processor is running 100% if so right click go to task manager and sort the cpu column and find out which process is pegging the cpu at 100% then write down that process after that right click and end task on that fucker. You should be able to google the hogging process and find out what it is or post it here.

Red
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Droxor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:14 pm

A life saver again Red.. . .I checked TM at least 4 times before, but I was looking for suspicious names not process density. Problem found and solved. . .yet ANOTHER trojan gone.
Droxor
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby betasoldier » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 am

http://www.processlibrary.com/processscan/

You might want to consider this as well. Blizzard recommends it and its from Uniblue, a microsoft partner, so its legit. Made sure of that before I DLed it. Its free and scans your processes for anything bad, unknown, or just hogging up way more than it should be using. Has a VAST library of processes too, so you shouldn't have to worry about it much.

If that didn't make much sense, I'm tired.
betasoldier
Major General
Major General

Return to Tech Corner