Question For Floobie Exchange 2007

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Question For Floobie Exchange 2007

Postby redwarrior666 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Floobie I have a quesion that you might be able to shed some light on. I recently transistioned our orginization from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007 Now in Exchange 2000 if I had Exchange Admin rights I could view all the (virtual drive) or M Drive contents (all the users email boxes). In Exchange 2007 the database stays in the .edb format and is translated to mailbox but there is no way to view the mailboxes or look through them unless they are backed up and viewed through a restore or you open the other users mailbox in Outlook after giving that mailbox the permisssion for that to happen. Question is there a better way if i just want to browse email folders of the other users?

Thanks

Red
----------------------------------------
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby FloobieDoobie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Yeah it's the way Ex2k7 works. Use powershell to do it:
Get-MailboxDatabase | Add-ADPermission -User "domain admins" -ExtendedRights Receive-As -InheritanceType All
Get-MailboxDatabase | Add-ADPermission -User "domain admins" -ExtendedRights Send-As -InheritanceType All
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby redwarrior666 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks Floobie I'm looking into powershell now :)
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby redwarrior666 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:51 am

I figured out how to extract other users email without them knowing that I have done this.
Giving the Permissions you stated in previous reply to said user that will be used for this extraction
This is extracting with a date: Basically you create a new user with a mailbox and a folder to dump (other users email into). Run this command to extract thier email to users mailbox and folder that you created without them knowing anything: I love technology :-)
Export-mailbox -id UserMailbox1 –StartDate "02/02/05" –EndDate "02/05/05" -TargetFolder 'User1Data' -TargetMailbox UserMailbox2
"
redwarrior666
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Return to Tech Corner