Google Chrome

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Google Chrome

Postby rhonnin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Anyone else trying it out?
I kind of like it so far, it's pretty minimalist, like a big window for the interwebs.
The only thing I am disappointed with is that it didn't release with any of the basic functions of Google toolbar, like form fill which I use a lot.
I did just discover it apparently has a nice built in spell check though. :wink:
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Anger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 pm

I started to use it a bit yesterday.

It seems good - If they develop add-ons, I may switch - I miss pop-up blocker...
Anger
Captain
Captain

Postby FloobieDoobie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:12 am

Its a lot faster rendering pages. Needs more add ins but that's no surprise as it's beta.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby Socco » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 am

I don't think Google has a motivation to allow ad blocking, since ads are their primary source of revenue that fund other ventures (like chrome...)

The javascript rendering is insanely fast (Gmail, slashdot, digg, other sites that are "web apps", etc.). I think that it will give both Microsoft and Mozilla healthy competition.

I don't think Chrome is an amazing browser. But it does bring several things to the table that will make MS work harder on IE and give Mozilla inspiration too (each tab in its own process so if one page has a flash player crash, the browser can remain on, javascript speed, etc.).

For those of you who don't know, the Internet Explorer team was barebones and assigned to other divisions from 2001-2006 (espeically the office), with minor work for IE6SP1. The team was brought back together to code iE7. They sent cakes to Mozilla for launching FF2 and FF3 because Firefox gave them their jobs back ;)
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby rhonnin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Socco wrote:
For those of you who don't know, the Internet Explorer team was barebones and assigned to other divisions from 2001-2006 (espeically the office), with minor work for IE6SP1. The team was brought back together to code iE7. They sent cakes to Mozilla for launching FF2 and FF3 because Firefox gave them their jobs back ;)

Lol, that's awesome.
I don't care about ad blocking so much, I don't really even notice them, so long as nothing is popping up I am happy.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Socco » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 am

Yeah, it is pretty funny. First cake and second cake.
Socco
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Return to Tech Corner