Computer n00b Building first comp. Plz help!

This is the place to ask for help or discuss the latest in technology

Moderator: redwarrior666

Computer n00b Building first comp. Plz help!

Postby TheLoneTerran » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Hey guys, Monkey was looking over newegg for me and these are some of the things that we came up with.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=11420572

Its all here on this wishlist. I would appreciate any and all feedback. I'm kind of hesitant building my own computer because I've never done it before and I have no idea how to do it. I'm told its ridiculously easy once u take a good look at it.

I would love it if experienced people could take a look at this build and offer suggestions on how to better it.

Another thing I'm stuck on is XP/Vista. I know XP pretty well and have heard horror stories about Vista,but getting Vista would greatly increase my ability to install RAM. This going to to be primarily a gaming computer.

One last thing, its impossible for me to hook this up to the internet via wired connection so I must have it wireless. Anyone know of a good wireless card? Or is that something I can pick up from Wal-Mart and plug in? I've heard external is better because I can plug a receiver into it via USB cable to increase its ability to aqcuire the signal.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!!
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TheLoneTerran » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:41 am

I should also mention that I have around a 1300 dollar budget. So im willing to spend a little more to get a better piece of equipment. Thanks! Also, do u guys use a step by step guide in how to build the comp? Or is it self explanatory once u have all the parts? On the list i think i have all the essential parts. plz let me know if im missing any lol. Sorry for all the questions. This is my first comp purchase and im hoping to get everything to run smoothly.
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Tackalt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:27 am

Remember Windows 7 is coming out in October. It supposedly is Windows XP performance with the look of Vista. Plus most new games require DX 10 and DirectX 11 is on the horizon; XP is not compatible with either of these.

In most cases, Vista will be easily upgradable to 7.
I kill people IRL.

Tackalt
Major General
Major General

Postby FloobieDoobie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Not fond of the 4850, take a bit of a step up for more bang for your buck. Go for the 4870 for ATI or the GTX260 for Nvidia.
Other than that, not bad.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby TheLoneTerran » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Thank you Tackalt and Floobie. Ive decided to go with Vista and hope to upgrade to windows 7 after a bit. Ill update the video card to one recomended. One last big thing is the wireless internet card. Anyone know a reliable brand or is this something I can pick up at WalMart?
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby FloobieDoobie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:09 pm

It's usually best to get one from your Wireless Phone company to make sure it's fully compatible.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Postby rhonnin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 pm

FloobieDoobie wrote:It's usually best to get one from your Wireless Phone company to make sure it's fully compatible.

I think he means for his home wireless network.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby TheLoneTerran » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah, I meant the card u plug into the comp to receive a wireless signal. Wondering if anyone knew a solid, reliable brand.
TheLoneTerran
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby FloobieDoobie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:52 am

Ahhh, I saw wireless internet and assumed you were going to use a cell modem. I've had good luck with the LinkSys wireless cards, just make sure you get a model that is compatable with your access point. So if your access point is N, get an N card, a B/G access point get a B/G card....etc.
WWFD?
FloobieDoobie
Major
Major

Return to Tech Corner