Slots on server increasing to 26

Chat about other games.

Slots on server increasing to 26

Postby roadrunner » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:43 am

Either tonight or tomorrow I will increase the slots on the server to 26. I would feel comfortable playing some of the 32 person maps with this number of open slots. My feeling is that we use the 32 person Strike at Karkland and Sharqi peninsula maps. Since this will increase the tickets on those maps to 200 (thus rounds will take longer) it might make sense to change the number of rounds per map to 2.

The only drawback is it will take more people to start the round from an empty server. Currently it takes 7 to start a game and I don’t know if this increase will move it to 8-9. I will try and google that later.

Please add any thoughts regarding map rotation.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:16 am

I used the following map rotation when I brought the server up as 26 slot.

Strike at Karkland – 32 person
Gulf of Oman – 16 person
Dalian Plant – 16 person
Sharqi Peninsula – 32 person
Fushe Pass – 16 person

Feedback?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:50 am

What happens when there are 32 people on the server playing Strike at Karkand and then the server flips to 16-player Gulf of Oman? What happens to half of the players? How does the server decide who to boot? and in reverse, if we are playing 16-player FuShe Pass and the server flips to 32 player Strike at Karkand, will an additional 16 people come online? Or does this just affect the maps? Is the population count kept even at 26 the entire time even though we are playing on 16 player maps?

The list of maps is fine. :)
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:09 am

The player count always stays at 26 slot maximum and it’s just the map size and ticket count that changes. I believe 26 may be a sweet spot on the maps. Some of the 16 player maps can easily handle more people and will enhance game play by increasing the number of targets available. The two 32 person maps are good maps in 16 person form but many times one side dominates because of the limited ways to engage the enemy. I have played both of these on 26 person servers and they are both very playable. We will also attracted people working on ribbons and badges because of the higher ticket (200 opposed to 100) and lower (26 opposed to 32) player count leads to longer rounds and makes it easier to hit the “in one round” criteria. If the maps configuration doesn’t work we can always tweak it.

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Other Games