Call of Duty 2

Chat about other games.

Call of Duty 2

Postby roadrunner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:55 am

Anyone try out the demo. I felt is was a lot like the original CoD but may be a good alternative for BF2 burn out.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:03 pm

I didn't try it out, is it still WW2 themed? I love ww2 games so would be interested in this most likely.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:46 pm

Yep the demo is a WWII desert engagement. The one nice thing about CoD is the fact that most battles are INF based. I really wish EA would have released a few "official" BF2 maps without vehicles. That way people who are tired of vehicle whores would have a place to go. I think they would be suprised how popular the maps would be.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Izlude » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Can't wait for it.
Izlude
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Gunther » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:44 am

I played the CoD2 demo. It kept my attention for a few hours and then I got bored with it.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Outbound » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:14 pm

I enjoyed the demo, but I didn't really find that it backed up what they had been saying about the game. All the press about the game said how open-ended (but mission based) the game was. However, the (single player) demo was like most single player FPSes in that it is scripted and linear. I did think they did a great job within that context, but I would like to see most of the missions in the actual game to be more open-ended (as supposedly they will be.)

Far Cry is the only game recently to really be open-ended, but it still had its linear levels. From what I hear the new Far Cry Instincts will be more linear overall. Half Life 2 had a nice open feel, though most of the time there was only one way to go, but it was a great game too. But hey, the first Call of Duty was linear and scripted and I loved it because of how cinematic it felt. Starting off that Russian campaign storming a beach with just ammo will be one of the gaming moments I'll remember for a long time. So obviously as long as you don't go so far as, say, Doom 3, linear and scripted can work really well.
--- Outbound, Earthbound, Unbound, & Honorbound ---
"This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps! This is what happens when you feed a horse scrambled eggs!"
~Walter in the TV Version of The Big Lebowski
Outbound
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby rhonnin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:32 pm

Well in mission based games like MoHAA, CoD, Halflife, etc... they are supposed to be linear by design, I'm more concerned with multiplayer play anyway since I rarely find single player terribly challenging.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Other Games