squad leader

Chat about other games.

Postby demonseed » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Ok, ok Gunther, I downloaded it....jeez! :wink:
I just wanted to find the rulebook to rehash the basic mechanics of the game.

I did download and install it to include maps A-H. I can manipulate the boards and merge them around in any order but cannot figure out how to select 1 unit from a stack and move it, without moving the whole stack.

Let me know what you figure out, I'm gonna kepp playing around and see what else I can figure out.
Last edited by demonseed on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demonseed
Captain
Captain

Postby rhonnin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:19 pm

I've never actually played the game so am clueless about the rules but I'll dl and monkey around with it some.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:23 pm

The Guards Counterattack

Demonseed and I dowloaded the maps, the "stand alone" file and the first scenario. We are at the Prep Fire phase for the German Phase of turn 1. During the first half of Turn 1, the German has two broken squads and the Russian has three or four broken squads. No advancement has ocurred yet.

Demonseed = Russian
Gunther = German

EDIT: 8:15 PM EST UPDATE

Turn 3

German forces in west-most factory have been evicted by the Russians and they are entering from the north. Russian Infantry is present in the center building. Russian Infantry is taking terrible losses on the east side of the map.

Synopsis: Although the Russians are gaining ground they have lost almost two full platoons of Infantry and the Germans have suffered no losses. With a turn and a half remaining, the Russians may not complete their victory conditions--which is to kick the Germans out of two of the five buildings they possess at the beginning of the scenario. With that said, the fight could still go either way.

EDIT: 10:15 PM EST

Turn 5 Game Ends

The Russians completely occupied the factory at the west end of the map. The Russians occupied and killed the German defenders in the middle of hte map. In a last ditch effort, the German commander leading two platoons of Infantry attempted to retake the lightly defended middle building. One platoon and the commander were killed in the street attempting to enter the building. One platoon made it into the building and entered hand to hand combat with the Russians. The Russian defenders armed with PPSh 9mm submachine guns chewed the German attackers up and sent them to their graves.

Russian player wins.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:36 pm

I dled and got everything set up, this does not replace the need for the rule books so if you don't have em you're kinda SOL since the game went out of print in the 80s, however I did see this
4TH Edition; Last Edition published by TAHGC in1980; upgrading SQLA internal color illutrated softcopy document using VSQL module graphics and to be placed on a MMP site, targetted for March 2006. Access presently limited to SQLA development team for internal use only

And I'm sure they can be found online somewhere too.
Also noticed there are a tone of games you can play with this, hero quest, blitzgrieg, even card games.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:20 am

Rhonnin wrote:I dled and got everything set up, this does not replace the need for the rule books so if you don't have em you're kinda SOL since the game went out of print in the 80s, however I did see this
4TH Edition; Last Edition published by TAHGC in1980; upgrading SQLA internal color illutrated softcopy document using VSQL module graphics and to be placed on a MMP site, targetted for March 2006. Access presently limited to SQLA development team for internal use only

And I'm sure they can be found online somewhere too.
Also noticed there are a tone of games you can play with this, hero quest, blitzgrieg, even card games.

I have two copies of the 4th Edition of Squad Leader. Since I need only one, I will sell the second copy to the highest bidder. Starting bid: $1200
Any takers? 8)

The charts for playing SL are in the Vassal Toolbar. I had an original sitting on my desk and was using that while playing Demonseed last night. My House rule does apply.

House Rules:
1. If either player either forgets a rule or the opponent forgets to call him on something before the end of the current phase, you can not reroll the die.

2. Do not roll die until the oppent responds with "check", meaning I've checked your numbers and it is good with me.

3. Leadership modifiers affect adjacent units for "Fire Groups", Rallying and applicable DRM (Die Roll Modifiers) during combat.

Note: You can download a copy of the rules online.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby demonseed » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:00 am

Yes, very good game last night, I haven't had that much fun in awhile! Hey Gunther, next game we play, you want the same scenario with opposite sides or just move on to scenario 2?
What time on Thursday for our next match?

Hey Rhonnin, If you download the rulebook, let me know if you wanna learn how to play, If I'm on, we'll duke it out. I'm gonna download and print the rulebook today Gunther, that way I don't have to dig it out of the box(which one??) in my garage.
demonseed
Captain
Captain

Postby Gunther » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:52 am

Let's do Guards Counterattack again. I'll take Russian this time.
Thursday is no good for me.
How about Friday, March 3 at 6:30/7PM EST [3:30/4PM PST]?

Also, I created the scenario I described to you putting a US IN/AR task force against an SS IN/AR Team in France in 1944. I would have to E-mail the file to you so that we could play it sometime. I'd like to try the US, since I played the German side once in Real Life. I made the scenario 15 turns, so I doubt we could finish in one sitting.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:54 am

I downloaded the files but it will be a bit before I can spend some time re-learning the base rules.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 pm

RoadRunner wrote:I downloaded the files but it will be a bit before I can spend some time re-learning the base rules.

Give me a shot, Road. I helped demon with them on TS.
The last time I read the rules/played a scenario was July, 05.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:22 pm

WHere did you find the rules for DL? I looked last night online but could only find mention of them not actual rules. By the way Gunther, I did stumble across a listing for a sale of the origional game priced at $50.00.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games