Rhonnin - VG update?

Chat about other games.

Rhonnin - VG update?

Postby roadrunner » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:10 am

Hey Rhonnin,

My sub is expired so can you provide any feedback on this patch. If it is a good improvement in performance and gameplay I may consider coming back.

If I do come back and they merge servers I will join the one you move to.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby luvpeebo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:19 am

I know I'm not Rhonnin, but I play a bit...

I really like the LFG tools on the social page, you can now flag LFG for specific quests and dungeons. And while it doesn't necessarily work now, hopefully with the server merge it will be a better tool in a more populated place to find groups. They also added all the dungeons to your map, complete with the level range, I found that pretty handy.

As for performance, I've noticed a big improvement in hitching in some areas, and the CTD's aren't as much, but I still crash in certain spots for absolutely no reason. They haven't re-tooled classes yet, I'm not sure when they're going to do that, but there does need to be a nerfing of some adventuring professions.

Still no helms, though. :x
Wayfarer, Kiare Griefsinger Now raiding near you!
luvpeebo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby rhonnin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 pm

I haven't logged in yet since the update, there were a ton of rogue changes though so I plan to play tonight.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks Marcie,

I forgot you played too. I may give it a shot again. I really liked the concept and gameplay but the CTDs, hitching and low pop drove me away.

Server merges will help the pop a little and I have a feeling some that quit will resub for a month after this last big patch just to see if things got better.

They did fix the helms. Just remove the show/hide helms toggle and call it fixed :wink:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Rhonnin - VG update?

Postby rhonnin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:11 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Hey Rhonnin,

If I do come back and they merge servers I will join the one you move to.

We're on Florendyl now so Saradon after the merger.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:25 am

Well I bit the bullet and resubbed to see if things were better. Sadly I experienced about the same amount of hitching and several CTDs during the night. It was a clean install so I would expect some hitching as it built the cache again but I saw poor performance even when I returned to an area already cached. I use drox and have not done some optimization yet but don’t have a lot of confidence it will improve. It could be my system but since this is the only game that runs this poorly I don’t have a lot of incentive to find out why.

I found some of the changes just an effort to make it like every other MMO out there. I thought concepts like EE made VG unique which has been replaced by the vanilla level requirement. Rested XP and BoP/BoE are more examples.

I have a month to mess around with it but don’t think I will be staying. The fall draws nearer and with the release of Tabula Rasa and Warhammer coming I have other alternatives. I am leaning toward Warhammer as I really like PvP but in most MMOs PvP is an afterthought and usually done poorly. Tabula Rasa has some potential but I think it would need a strong tE presence to make it fun as it does not solo well.

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby rhonnin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:46 am

I'm really surprised you had hitching issues, mine virtually vanished after the last update before GU2, ctd I think will be around until SOE gets a chance to completely over haul the engine, let's face it, VG is was/is a mess and it's a big job to clean it up. I still really like the feel of the game world, lately I've been playing a bit of EQ1 again and even logged into EQ2 for an hour or so one night.
Tabula Rasa sounds like it will have possibilities, very similar mechanics to AO it seems so if it can get it half as good as that game then it should be fun, personally I'm looking forward to Pirates of the Burning sea which will be distributed through SOE all access.
rhonnin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Other Games