Galava

Chat about other games.

Galava

Postby Gunther » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:09 pm

The creators of Lunar Wars are working on a new war game called Galava. I'm curious about this game and have actually joined an alliance now forming in preparation of hte game's release later this month. The only discussion I've found on this game is on the Lunar Wars forum here.

It appears it will have a bit of RP in it. It may be similar to CN but set in a Midieval time period. If anyone is interested in trying this out, let me know.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Not much information on this game yet, but I'm getting into it already.
I have joined The Covenant. My leader's name is Gunther Von Bremen and my country's name is Arrestordrelande, which is Danish for Warrior Land. I've even begun writing a story about it. I have 10 pages written and am not done yet. I'll post what I have in this thread.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:29 pm

The sun set on the Western horizon above the Gildenfjall mountain range. The last rays of sunlight splashed across the horizon and the shadow line slowly engulfed the landscape heading eastward. The air was warm on a cloudless September evening.

The town of Manjarland was nestled between two north-south mountain ranges. The Resenjall Mountains were to the east. The Nordic inhabitants of this region were hardy folk who farmed the land, hunted game in the mountains and surrounding forests and defended their land with ferocity. Wisps of smoke drifted steadily skyward above the many lodges of Manjarland; its citizens sitting down to enjoy home cooked meals.

The pleasant scene of this northern mountain town, was about to be disrupted. The clouds of war were forming. Arrestordrelande bordered Fliege to the north who wanted to control the Haderslev Fjord for economic reasons. This action would eventually starve out the people of Arrestorelande. The King of the Warrior people could not stand for this hostile act.

Gunther Von Bremen met with his Division Commanders in a council of war. The sturdy wood framed building was used as a dining hall, Council chambers, King’s throne room and festival hall. Tonight, the grand hall was a council of war.

The Fliegens were on the march moving to annex the Ringteigr province along the Haderslev Fjord. This waterway was critical to the people of Arrestordrelande as it provided a water route to the open sea. This access to the fjord and open sea will help to improve commerce and enable raiding parties to perform the king’s biddings. It needed to remain free and open.

“I want the 14th Falkenberg and 15th Syddjurs Light Cavalry Squadrons of the 2nd Division under the command of Viking Lieutenant Ansel to move as quickly as possible to the Fillstrup – Sillerup road. They will head east at daybreak When they are one day’s march from Fillerstup to the north, they will drag heavy branches behind them moving at a footman’s pace. Their intent is to create the appearance of a large army on the march.

“Their diversion will hopefully force the Fliegens to deploy the majority of their forces to the eastern areas of the Ringteigr province so that our main forces can attack their garrison at Fillerstup. The main body will depart for Fillerstup at daybreak when the cavalry diversion leaves. It is a four day march. Their speed should give them time to get ahead of us.

“Our order of march will be First Division, Second, fourth, Guards Division and third Division in trail. When we arrive at Fillerstup, I want the First, second and fourth divisions to assemble on line from left to right south of Fillerstup. The Guards Division will assemble in line about 200 meters behind the main body. The third Division will move to the Brednivatn Lake about seven miles east of Fillerstup.” King Bremen detailed to his division commanders how they would attack the Fliegens. He then turned to face Viking Lord Tostig Hobby, “Tostig, my old friend, I want you to delay the enemy if and when they realize the cavalry in the valley to the east is only a ruse. If the lake is not suitable for your defense, find ground that is.”

“Aye, my liege.” Viking Lord Hobby, the third division commander responded to his king.

“Use your Rangers and Light Cavalry to determine their location without giving away your presence. If you can.” The king dictated to his division commander. And then turned back to the three division commanders attacking at Fillerstup.

“Gentlemen, we will assemble in our usual formations with the first division’s
two light cavalry squadrons performing screen operations on both our right and our left flanks. The heavy Cav from all three divisions will fall under the command of Viking Lord Olaf Sands and his Cavalry Brigade commanded by Viking Lieutenant Thoralf Bing.

“Once the enemy is formed for battle, we will open the attack with Archers positioned in the gaps between the swords and axmen; and spearmen in line along the front of the battle line. I want the ranged units to concentrate their fire on the center of the enemy line. Attempt to create as many gaps as possible. On my command, the archers and spearmen will ceasefire and retreat to the rear of the infantry formations. The heavy Cavalry positioned in column formation will immediately execute a column left and column right with the two columns meeting in the center. With one long extended line of 1200 heavy horse we will assault the enemy. I want two ranks of 600 horses about fifty meters between them. They will attack on my signal.

“Lords, it is imperative that your infantry keep pace with the cavalry. Concentrate on the center of the enemy. As you move close your ranks to fill the gaps. The Cavalry will attack in a wedge and hit the enemy in the center where he will be the weakest. The saturation of arrows and spears will leave many gaps. We must exploit that weakness. When the Cavalry passes through the enemy, Our Infantry must be right behind them to exploit this penetration and convince the enemy to leave.

“Viking Lord Hecker,” The king faced his Guards Division Commander. “Advance to 500 meters of the enemy after the main body has attacked. Place your cavalry in line to your front. If for some reason a problem should occur, I want you to be prepared to attack. If the enemy shows up on our right flank due to Lord Hobby being overwhelmed in the east, I want you to be prepared to turn to the right and face the enemy there.” The king paused, “understood?”

“Yes, my liege.” Viking Lord Erik Hecker responded. “My liege, Should I place my division more to the east when we arrive?”

“Yes, that would be a good idea. It would allow you to be able to shift to the right more rapidly if needed.” King Von Bremen replied. “Are there any other questions?” The room was silent. “Good, send your rangers out as soon as possible this evening. They get no sleep tonight. I want eyes on Fillerstup as soon as possible. Tell them to move as fast as they can and to avoid detection at all costs. Avoid combat when possible and acquire as much information about the enemy dispositions. They will need to send a runner back to me when they are in position and again when they have information on enemy movements especially if and when they send a detachment to the east three to four days from now. Good night gentlemen.”

“Good night sir.” Came scattered responses from the assembled Viking Lords. The group started to break up. Viking commanders began conversing with their Viking Captains and Lieutenants outside the great hall. Orders were being passed. Within an hour six small bands of lightly equipped rangers began infiltrating north under the cover of darkness toward the enemy blocking Haderslev Fjord…

The rangers were clad in hides from the elk and caribou that roamed the countryside. They wore either a mid calf soft leather boot or one of sheep’s wool and leather tied around their feet with leather straps. They wore a conical steel helm with a nose strap. They all wore the black tabard of their nation. Depending on which division they were in either an Elk, Thor’s hammer, a pine tree, crossed swords, crossed battleaxes or a winged warrior in white emblazoned across the front.

The rangers carried a short sword, dagger, small battle axe and long bow. They wore a wide leather belt that kept their clothing and tabard cinched up. For rations, they carried either some corn meal or a piece of meat or whatever fruit they could find. The general practice of foraging went along with being a soldier in the Arrestordrelande army.

The rangers operated in companies of 50 men. There was a Viking chief in command of this company and typically they broke up into six smaller groups of eight to nine men. They moved quickly and silently. They used hand signs to communicate with one another when close to the enemy. Their mission was one of information collection. Although skilled at the warrior arts, it was preferred that they avoid conflict in order to get the information they acquired swiftly to their superiors.

Viking Chief Jeffri Andersen was a veteran of many raids and wars. At fifty five years old he was one of the elders. His hair had grayed over years before. His skin was spotted and rough stretched tightly over his sinewy arms, legs and torso. The lines spread from the corners of his eyes displayed the experience of the warrior within. His beard extended from his chin in two braided ropes about twelve inches in length. He gripped his axe; he aptly named “Lethedøkse” or Lightning Axe. Viking Chief Jeffri Andersen stood six feet four inches tall and weighed approximately 230 pounds. There was no fat on this seasoned warrior’s flesh.

“Run like the wind!” Jeffri Andersen yelled out to his rangers as they plunged into the darkened forest to the north. They ran head long into the forest in the middle of the night. The chief had briefed his men on their mission. They had worked together for many years and knew what they had to do. They also knew the land very well. Their current objective was to cover as much ground as they could in the least amount of time.

Gunther Von Bramen stood in the doorway of the great hall and watched the three hundred or so Rangers take off in six different directions as they each found their own trail to follow moving north toward the enemy. ‘May Thor bless you, boys’ the King whispered. Then he turned and walked back into the great hall.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:30 pm

The sun set on the Western horizon above the Gildenfjall mountain range. The last rays of sunlight splashed across the horizon and the shadow line slowly engulfed the landscape heading eastward. The air was warm on a cloudless September evening.

The town of Manjarland was nestled between two north-south mountain ranges. The Resenjall Mountains were to the east. The Nordic inhabitants of this region were hardy folk who farmed the land, hunted game in the mountains and surrounding forests and defended their land with ferocity. Wisps of smoke drifted steadily skyward above the many lodges of Manjarland; its citizens sitting down to enjoy home cooked meals.

The pleasant scene of this northern mountain town, was about to be disrupted. The clouds of war were forming. Arrestordrelande bordered Fliege to the north who wanted to control the Haderslev Fjord for economic reasons. This action would eventually starve out the people of Arrestorelande. The King of the Warrior people could not stand for this hostile act.

Gunther Von Bremen met with his Division Commanders in a council of war. The sturdy wood framed building was used as a dining hall, Council chambers, King’s throne room and festival hall. Tonight, the grand hall was a council of war.

The Fliegens were on the march moving to annex the Ringteigr province along the Haderslev Fjord. This waterway was critical to the people of Arrestordrelande as it provided a water route to the open sea. This access to the fjord and open sea will help to improve commerce and enable raiding parties to perform the king’s biddings. It needed to remain free and open.

“I want the 14th Falkenberg and 15th Syddjurs Light Cavalry Squadrons of the 2nd Division under the command of Viking Lieutenant Ansel to move as quickly as possible to the Fillstrup – Sillerup road. They will head east at daybreak When they are one day’s march from Fillerstup to the north, they will drag heavy branches behind them moving at a footman’s pace. Their intent is to create the appearance of a large army on the march.

“Their diversion will hopefully force the Fliegens to deploy the majority of their forces to the eastern areas of the Ringteigr province so that our main forces can attack their garrison at Fillerstup. The main body will depart for Fillerstup at daybreak when the cavalry diversion leaves. It is a four day march. Their speed should give them time to get ahead of us.

“Our order of march will be First Division, Second, fourth, Guards Division and third Division in trail. When we arrive at Fillerstup, I want the First, second and fourth divisions to assemble on line from left to right south of Fillerstup. The Guards Division will assemble in line about 200 meters behind the main body. The third Division will move to the Brednivatn Lake about seven miles east of Fillerstup.” King Bremen detailed to his division commanders how they would attack the Fliegens. He then turned to face Viking Lord Tostig Hobby, “Tostig, my old friend, I want you to delay the enemy if and when they realize the cavalry in the valley to the east is only a ruse. If the lake is not suitable for your defense, find ground that is.”

“Aye, my liege.” Viking Lord Hobby, the third division commander responded to his king.

“Use your Rangers and Light Cavalry to determine their location without giving away your presence. If you can.” The king dictated to his division commander. And then turned back to the three division commanders attacking at Fillerstup.

“Gentlemen, we will assemble in our usual formations with the first division’s
two light cavalry squadrons performing screen operations on both our right and our left flanks. The heavy Cav from all three divisions will fall under the command of Viking Lord Olaf Sands and his Cavalry Brigade commanded by Viking Lieutenant Thoralf Bing.

“Once the enemy is formed for battle, we will open the attack with Archers positioned in the gaps between the swords and axmen; and spearmen in line along the front of the battle line. I want the ranged units to concentrate their fire on the center of the enemy line. Attempt to create as many gaps as possible. On my command, the archers and spearmen will ceasefire and retreat to the rear of the infantry formations. The heavy Cavalry positioned in column formation will immediately execute a column left and column right with the two columns meeting in the center. With one long extended line of 1200 heavy horse we will assault the enemy. I want two ranks of 600 horses about fifty meters between them. They will attack on my signal.

“Lords, it is imperative that your infantry keep pace with the cavalry. Concentrate on the center of the enemy. As you move close your ranks to fill the gaps. The Cavalry will attack in a wedge and hit the enemy in the center where he will be the weakest. The saturation of arrows and spears will leave many gaps. We must exploit that weakness. When the Cavalry passes through the enemy, Our Infantry must be right behind them to exploit this penetration and convince the enemy to leave.

“Viking Lord Hecker,” The king faced his Guards Division Commander. “Advance to 500 meters of the enemy after the main body has attacked. Place your cavalry in line to your front. If for some reason a problem should occur, I want you to be prepared to attack. If the enemy shows up on our right flank due to Lord Hobby being overwhelmed in the east, I want you to be prepared to turn to the right and face the enemy there.” The king paused, “understood?”

“Yes, my liege.” Viking Lord Erik Hecker responded. “My liege, Should I place my division more to the east when we arrive?”

“Yes, that would be a good idea. It would allow you to be able to shift to the right more rapidly if needed.” King Von Bremen replied. “Are there any other questions?” The room was silent. “Good, send your rangers out as soon as possible this evening. They get no sleep tonight. I want eyes on Fillerstup as soon as possible. Tell them to move as fast as they can and to avoid detection at all costs. Avoid combat when possible and acquire as much information about the enemy dispositions. They will need to send a runner back to me when they are in position and again when they have information on enemy movements especially if and when they send a detachment to the east three to four days from now. Good night gentlemen.”

“Good night sir.” Came scattered responses from the assembled Viking Lords. The group started to break up. Viking commanders began conversing with their Viking Captains and Lieutenants outside the great hall. Orders were being passed. Within an hour six small bands of lightly equipped rangers began infiltrating north under the cover of darkness toward the enemy blocking Haderslev Fjord…

The rangers were clad in hides from the elk and caribou that roamed the countryside. They wore either a mid calf soft leather boot or one of sheep’s wool and leather tied around their feet with leather straps. They wore a conical steel helm with a nose strap. They all wore the black tabard of their nation. Depending on which division they were in either an Elk, Thor’s hammer, a pine tree, crossed swords, crossed battleaxes or a winged warrior in white emblazoned across the front.

The rangers carried a short sword, dagger, small battle axe and long bow. They wore a wide leather belt that kept their clothing and tabard cinched up. For rations, they carried either some corn meal or a piece of meat or whatever fruit they could find. The general practice of foraging went along with being a soldier in the Arrestordrelande army.

The rangers operated in companies of 50 men. There was a Viking chief in command of this company and typically they broke up into six smaller groups of eight to nine men. They moved quickly and silently. They used hand signs to communicate with one another when close to the enemy. Their mission was one of information collection. Although skilled at the warrior arts, it was preferred that they avoid conflict in order to get the information they acquired swiftly to their superiors.

Viking Chief Jeffri Andersen was a veteran of many raids and wars. At fifty five years old he was one of the elders. His hair had grayed over years before. His skin was spotted and rough stretched tightly over his sinewy arms, legs and torso. The lines spread from the corners of his eyes displayed the experience of the warrior within. His beard extended from his chin in two braided ropes about twelve inches in length. He gripped his axe; he aptly named “Lethedøkse” or Lightning Axe. Viking Chief Jeffri Andersen stood six feet four inches tall and weighed approximately 230 pounds. There was no fat on this seasoned warrior’s flesh.

“Run like the wind!” Jeffri Andersen yelled out to his rangers as they plunged into the darkened forest to the north. They ran head long into the forest in the middle of the night. The chief had briefed his men on their mission. They had worked together for many years and knew what they had to do. They also knew the land very well. Their current objective was to cover as much ground as they could in the least amount of time.

Gunther Von Bramen stood in the doorway of the great hall and watched the three hundred or so Rangers take off in six different directions as they each found their own trail to follow moving north toward the enemy. ‘May Thor bless you, boys’ the King whispered. Then he turned and walked back into the great hall.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:30 pm

The eastern horizon was ablaze in reds, yellows and orange as the sun ascended along its daily path. The Resenjall Mountains were darkened silhouettes in the early dawn. The sun was not yet visible; hiding behind the majestic peaks.

Clad in plate and chain armor, Gunther von Bremen stepped out of the great hall. He walked to his horse, Torden with a quick forceful stride. He quickly mounted and rode to the eastern edge of town followed by two columns of men mounted on horses. The fourteen riders and their king stopped at a clearing and stood as if waiting for something.

A loud clambering of hooves as four hundred mounted Viking warriors raced passed the king and his party. Viking Lieutenant Ansel touched the edge of his helmet looking at the king as he raced by. The dust was being kicked around and settling on the king’s black and gray fur-lined cloak.

The light cavalryman was clad in a similar manner as his Ranger counterpart but with a short bow and a long sword. He had a small shield he wore on his right arm and colored ribbons were attached to the tip of his helm. They also carried a twelve foot spear or lance that could be used as a weapon if the cavalryman was required to conduct a charge. The two ribbons on their helm were one of white and one of six different colors; blue, yellow, red, orange, green or black depending on their divisional assignment. Each of their lances mounted a small eighteen inch flag of white and red that fluttered as they all trotted past the watchful eyes of their king.

Gunther Von Bremen watched as the last of his diversionary troops headed east toward the next valley. Viking Lieutenant Rurik Yager, commanding the 1st Division Cavalry Brigade rode up to the King, touched his helmet and spoke. “My liege, Lord Stover reports that the first Division is prepared to leave for Fillerstrup.” The young man of twenty some odd years dipped his head. The king merely nodded and Yager wheeled his horse about, yelling to his 12th Horsens and 13th Viborg Light Cav Squadrons. Another four hundred horsemen thundered by taking the left road to head north.

Several minutes passed as the First Division cavalry passed by. In columns of four, the backbone of the Arrestorelande Infantry marched down the dusty road heading north. Viking Captain Amund Bjorn led the Left Wing consisting of six hundred Viking warriors of the 1st Skagen Axe Regiment, six hundred of the 12th Viborg Sword Regiment and two hundred men of the 1st Horsens Pike Battalion. Viking Captain Anders Kiersted’s Right Wing followed consisting of six hundred men of the 13th Skagen Sword Regiment, six hundred men of the 2nd Rebild Axe Regiment and two hundred men of the 1st Nordjurs Spear Battalion. The parade of Arrestorelande soldiers marching past this field would last for several hours. King Van Bremen fell in behind the First Division during the march north.

The Infantry were adorned in mail armor and the same steel helmets that the Rangers wore. They carried a large circular shield on their left arm and either a long sword or a heavy war axe in the right hand. They each carried at least one dagger and a few throwing axes. The tabard was standard and the First Division wore the white elk on their chest. The soldiers were filthy even after an hour’s march. The temperatures were hot and humid and a weaker man would pass out from fatigue before the day was out.

The heavy cavalry of Van Bremen’s army wore a steel plated chest piece overlaying a mail coat. They wore steel greaves and waist along with the steel plated boots, armguards and gloves. Their helmets were the same as the rest of the army, but the heavy Cavalry of the Arrestorelande wore the horns of a bull mounted on either side. Some horns stood straight up, but most were oriented in a downward angle. They also wore three ribbons on the pinnacle of their helmets like the light cavalry units. These were colored one white, one black and one either blue, yellow, red, orange or green depending on their divisional assignment.

The same black and white tabard was worn over their armor. The Arrestorelande heavy Cavalry used a long steel shield on their left arm and carried a twelve foot lance. They were also armed with a long sword and a heavy battle axe for close quarters fighting. The men who made up the ranks of the heavy cavalry squadrons all stood a minimum of five foot ten inches tall; most over six feet. Their horses were from Belgium, weighing about 3200 pounds and stood almost two meters from ground to shoulder. They wore chain barding with a fancy saddle cloth draped over the armor. The head piece of the horses barding had two horns of different sizes pointing skyward in line along the bridge of the horse’s nose. A heavy cavalry soldier, mounted was something to be feared.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Three hours out of Manjarland

A division moved at four miles an hour and stretched for one full mile on the open road. The Arrestordrelande Army contained five divisions and stretched out over five and a half miles. The long snake of infantry and cavalry plodded along a dusty trail.

The dust hung in the air all around the marching soldiers. The morning fog had lifted only a few hundred feet overhead; a heavy cloud hung low over the valley. The sound of thunder echoed off the nearby mountains.

“Sounds like Thor sends his approval.” Viking Lord Harald Stover mentioned.

“Aye, tis a good day.” The king retorted. “I just hope it is not raining when we need the Fliegens to see the dust clouds to the east.” And a raindrop hit the king on his cheek.

Within minutes a downpour erupted. Visibility dropped to about a hundred yards and that too was blurry, the rain was so thick. Everyone was drenched, but kept marching forward. Duty and discipline forbade any other action.

The rain let up a few times during the day; sometimes a heavy downpour and others a light drizzle. As the sun was approaching the Gildenfjall Mountains, the clouds finally broke up. Several of the men cheered when they saw the sun after a day’s march in the rain.

Units stepped off the road and headed into the trees. They dropped their burdens and set up foraging parties. Some of the men began building fire pits and lean-tos. Within a few hours, the smells of roasted venison and wild boar saturated the woods. A nearby stream provided drinking water for the men on the march.

As most of the men slept on the ground a few stood watch along the main road and at a distance further in the woods, to insure their safety. The clouds had passed and one could look up and see a star filled sky.

Meanwhile about twenty miles in front of the Arrestordrelande Army, silent men continued their move northward. The moon had begun its rise and Jeffri Andersen thanked Thor for the moon. Although he wished there would be no more rain, he did appreciate the effect it had on movement. When it rained, no one could hear them coming.

The Rangers continued to run getting closer and closer to the enemy with each step. The lead man in the file stopped suddenly and held up a fist. The entire column stopped in their tracks. Everyone stood and stared into the emptiness with eyes as wide as does hoping to see whatever it was the point man could see or hear.

“Ho ho ho!” A distant voice sang out. “I’m going to take me a woman and lay her down. I’m going to do whatever I damn well please. I’m going to fill her belly up, full and bright and find me another pint.” The distant singer crooned on. The voice began to trail off in the distant with a few more ‘Yo ho hos’ and ‘Ho ho hos’.

All of the rangers from Andersen’s company could hear the voice. They formed up in a circle with bows at the ready. Chief Andersen gathered the six small unit leaders together and they talked about how to deal with this potential threat. The chief decided Lars Grabner would take his unit to where the sound was coming from. The rest of the company would remain in defense at their current location in case there was trouble.

After all the men were informed what was going on, Lars Grabner crept toward the singing voice. Eight Arrestordrelande Rangers crept up on a small fire and four sleeping men. In whispered voices and hand movements, the eight men circled around the four sleeping men. In one quick movement axes were buried in the formerly sleeping men’s heads. They would now sleep forever.

Lars noticed that each of them had the same red tabard with a golden dragon on the chest. He carefully pulled one tabard off. The rest of his small unit gathered some foodstuff and a small keg of ale to return to the company.

Lars explained what he saw to Chief Andersen and showed him the tabard. The men shared what little ale they had with everyone. Even a few sips or swigs was a welcome taste.

“Gather the other three tabards on the way by.” Chief Andersen whispered to Lars Grabner. “They may come in handy.”

“Aye. Will do chief.” Lars responded.

“This must have been a listening post or a patrol from Fillerstrup. Kind of odd they are this far from their garrison. We still have forty miles to go.”

“Maybe they are not at home?” Dirk Rangold offered. “Maybe they are on the move south and we ran into an advance patrol?”

“Mmmmmm.” Chief Andersen groaned. “I don’t like it. Rangold, take four men and head back toward the army. Let the king and Lord Stover know what we’ve found.”

“Aye aye, Chief” Dirk Rangold responded. He quickly selected four men and the five headed south to find their advancing army. The remaining forty-five men of the first Division’s recon company continued to move north.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:32 pm

A cool breeze blew across the Haderslev Fjord. From the low Ramparts between Fillerstrup and the water, King Gerd Freerksen smiled as the wind swept across his face. He closed his eyes reminiscing about days gone by; sailing on the fjord as a small child; swimming with friends till the sun went down; and fishing with his father just for fun.

The rampart had stood for over 100 years as an empty reminder of a time when the Arrestordrelande defended this land. It had been built to keep the Fliegens out of the Ringteigr province. Now the Fliegens were back.

A rider trotted to the king who faced the fjord, standing in front of three staff members. “Your majesty,” the rider spoke. “I have news from the east.”

“What is it?” the king responded brusquely annoyed that he had been disturbed. “Spit it out, boy!”

“Outposts in the east have spotted a large column of soldiers advancing north along the Sillerup-Fillerstrup road. They are still about a day’s march away.” The rider announced to the King. “They are wearing the Black tabard of Arrestordrelande and appear to be in great number.”

“Have we heard anything from our outposts in the south?” The king directed this question to his Chief of Staff, General Aksel Damm.

“No, your highness,” Responded the Chief of Staff. “It has been remarkably quiet.” The Chief of staff stood five feet nine inches tall, he was thirty eight years old, balding with a small beard on his chin and jaw. He wore no mustache and it was neatly trimmed. The man weighed approximately three hundred pounds and reeked of perfumes. The King considered him to be one of the finest military minds in the region and trusted his judgment thoroughly.

“Do you believe that the Arrestordrelanden army would move up from Sillerup? Didn’t we have a report that they were gathered in Manjarland?” The king asked.

“Yes sire, that is true. They must have moved and used the eastern route.” General Damm answered. They may also have split their forces and are marching along both routes.

“Yes that would seem appropriate.” The king stated and then looked at the rider, “Go to each of my generals and tell them that I want to meet them at the Great Hall in one hour.”

“Aye, my liege.” The rider said, wheeled about and took off to find the generals.

20 miles to the east of Fillerstrup

“What do you see? What do you see?” Jakob Harmann asked. Jakob was a farmer who trained as a soldier during times of war. He was considered mentally slow, but as loyal and faithful to the king as anyone.

“More of them horsemen, Jakob.” Haldor Bloch answered him. Haldor was a professional soldier, or at least he considered himself one. He fished the fjord when the army was not at war. He was a rather large man and at twenty two one of the youngsters on this patrol. The two were part of a mounted patrol in the Eastern valley watching clouds of dust extending several miles back along the horizon. They had climbed the northern ridge of the Resenjall Mountains. From their vantage point they could see at least fifty Arrestordrelande Cavalry slowly plodding along the dusty road. The hooves of their beasts were kicking up all kinds of dust and concealing the body of men behind them.

The Fliegen patrol had been watching this spectacle for seven hours now, slowly moving back each time the Arrestordrelande army got closer. They did not want to be detected. They had sent riders back to inform the king and his generals what was going on.

Later afternoon, near Fillerstrup

“Nothing from our outposts to the south?” The king asked no one in particular.

“Nothing sir.” Responded General Damm.

“Ok, we must do something.” The king was frustrated because he did not know what the enemy was doing. Had they somehow bypassed his outposts on the Manjarland road? Were they really coming in force along the Sillerup road? That is what appeared to be going on.

“The first, second and third divisions will move to the eastern valley with me. We leave tonight. The third and fourth divisions will remain here at Fillerstrup. Defend the city with your lives. General Gunne Tran is in charge of the city’s defense.” The king ordered. “Good luck, General. We ride for the east tonight.”

The great hall emptied out quickly. King Freerksen and General Damm mounted up and headed east with six riders chasing after them. Each of the three division commanders alerted their units and began forming and marching out of the area.

By nightfall, the city of Fillerstrup was quiet. The sounds of men laughing and women giggling were not heard this night. The moon had risen full and was at it apex. It was a clear night to see movement especially in this open ground. The Fliegen Army was on the march.

Eyes in the darkness belonging to men hugging the earth and laying behind vegetables ready for the harvest watched as 12,000 soldiers and 1800 horses marched by. The procession took about an hour. They all wore the same red tabard with golden dragon. Jeffri Andersen had seen everything.

Chief Andersen and the other twenty rangers that accompanied him crawled back out of the squash and pumpkin patch and made their way slowly back to where their company was in the south wood. They located the rest of the men with little difficulty.

Again the unit leadership met in the center. “It appears the Fliegens have taken the bait. Their army just marched east out of the area.” Chief Andersen whispered with a smile.

“Do you think they left anyone in the city?” Lars Grabner asked.

“Aye, they would not have left it unattended. Let’s see if we can get a closer look at who is there. Put on those tabards we took from that outpost two days ago and go have a look. See if you can figure out how many troops are left in the city. Look for their shields. You can tell which division a soldier is with in the Fliegen army but the color of his shield. The boys we saw today were with the first, second and third divisions. The first division uses a Black Shield with a white circle around its exterior with a white boar’s head in the middle. The second Division uses a Blue Shield with a gold dragon’s head in the middle; and the third division uses a Red Shield with a blazing gold sun in middle. Those were the ones that just headed east. Look for gold shields with three bold blue vertical stripes across it and shields with red over white with a thin black vertical line separating the two colors. Those are the shields used by the fourth and fifth divisions. If you see them, return here and we will let the King know.”

“Sounds like a good plan, Jeffri.” Lars Grabner listened to his commander’s instructions, gathered up three men and told them what they were doing. The four garnered their new tabards and headed off across the gardens and pastures toward the town of Fillerstrup.

About three miles south of Fillerstrup, morning

King Von Bremen was happy. The Fliegens had taken his bait and marched out of the area. “Even if they did leave two divisions in Fillerstrup, they won’t be able to stand up to the might of the entire Arrestordrelande Army.” The king cackled with zeal. “Any word from the Rangers about which divisions were in the town?”

“Nothing sire.” A staff member replied. “Viking Chief Jeffri Andersen reported sending four men into the town last night after nightfall. They never returned.”

“We’ll expect at least two divisions.” The Arrestordrelande Army continued their march into the plains and farmland south of Fillerstrup…
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Other Games