The Only Enforcer with a Naval Rank ^.^
Valkyrie
Commander
Commander

Postby dbieon12 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:43 pm

RoadRunner wrote:Some thoughts on the subject

A) Benefits to running a server:

1) Control - We can configure (mods, settings, ...) it how we want it
2) Clan Wars - It is a lot easier to participate in a BF2 ladder if you run a server.
3) Recruiting - Almost a must to build your clan membership.

B) Negatives to running a server:

1) Responsibility - We have to have dedicated people to monitor it. A server that does not have regular admins is not good.
2) Cost - Might or might not be a issue depends on how many want to chip-in and how long they plan to remain active. Typically funding for the first few months is good its just months 3 and on that become a issue.
3) Active users - We must have a good bunch of people who will stay active on the server. Nobody wants to join a empty server.

Then there is the issue with ranked vs unranked. I know that I have been playing on only ranked servers because if you want to move up in rank then you don't have a choice. If you want to have a server that is always full get a ranked one but it adds a bunch to the cost plus it would be hard to everyone on unless you lock it. You also give up control because they all have to conform to the EA template.

As for size, I would say that a 20-24 person server would fit our needs better. Currently we don't have enough active people to justify a 32 or larger.

I know jakeyism asked the PR group if they were interested in hosting a server so if a good agreement could be reached we could look into co-hosting one. Not sure if this could work but it is a least worth a mention. I am not sure if either group has enough interested people to host one on their own.

There is a lot of empty servers out there so if the main goal is to get one that we could play together then we could just hop on one of those.

With all that said I would contribute if there is enough interest.

I would be willing to moniter it from 6-noon.(may vary)
dbieon12
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Gunther » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Allow us to play with you and see what you are like in game before volunteering to take over everything. relax and enjoy yourself.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Previous

Return to Other Games