Hosting Battlefield Server?

Chat about other games.

Postby BCoop » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:35 am

Would anyone be interested in running a server? We could set up a paypal acct. or something for it.
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby jediknight » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:32 pm

I think its 4$ a person.32 ppl=128$ split up more than 4 ways would be cheap.I would do it.
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Postby roadrunner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:43 pm

I thought this topic deserves its own thread so I split it out. I will add my thoughts in a bit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Some thoughts on the subject

A) Benefits to running a server:

1) Control - We can configure (mods, settings, ...) it how we want it
2) Clan Wars - It is a lot easier to participate in a BF2 ladder if you run a server.
3) Recruiting - Almost a must to build your clan membership.

B) Negatives to running a server:

1) Responsibility - We have to have dedicated people to monitor it. A server that does not have regular admins is not good.
2) Cost - Might or might not be a issue depends on how many want to chip-in and how long they plan to remain active. Typically funding for the first few months is good its just months 3 and on that become a issue.
3) Active users - We must have a good bunch of people who will stay active on the server. Nobody wants to join a empty server.

Then there is the issue with ranked vs unranked. I know that I have been playing on only ranked servers because if you want to move up in rank then you don't have a choice. If you want to have a server that is always full get a ranked one but it adds a bunch to the cost plus it would be hard to everyone on unless you lock it. You also give up control because they all have to conform to the EA template.

As for size, I would say that a 20-24 person server would fit our needs better. Currently we don't have enough active people to justify a 32 or larger.

I know jakeyism asked the PR group if they were interested in hosting a server so if a good agreement could be reached we could look into co-hosting one. Not sure if this could work but it is a least worth a mention. I am not sure if either group has enough interested people to host one on their own.

There is a lot of empty servers out there so if the main goal is to get one that we could play together then we could just hop on one of those.

With all that said I would contribute if there is enough interest.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Valkyrie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:25 pm

I would be glad to kinda monitor over the server as administrator once i get my new hardware
''If Audrey was an Animal she would eat her young"-Rhonnin
The only bad vampire is a vampire out for your emotions
The Only Enforcer with a Naval Rank ^.^
Valkyrie
Commander
Commander

Postby BCoop » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:03 pm

I could send however owns it a self-addressed stamped envelope with some cash in it ;).

I dunno about the ranked/unranked thing, I know that the cooler unlockable weapons are only usable with a higher rank, but I'll be willing to play wherever there is fragging. :)
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby Gunther » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:47 pm

I could help out with cost.

I would not consider doing this until we are able to field at least 10 players all the time.

How many do we have now? I am aware that 9 people said they would own it.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby BCoop » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 pm

There is an ad I saw for a server company that for $20 a month gives you a game server along with a website and a voice server. I will check out and see if they are reputable. I think their name is clangameservers or something to that effect.
BCoop
Major General
Major General

Postby jediknight » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:26 pm

That sounds fishy 20$ is way to low.
jediknight
Major General
Major General

Postby roadrunner » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:37 pm

Not to dig up old threads but we might want to look at this again. Ranked servers are going for $4 a slot so if the interest is there we could look into it. I found this site http://www.seemeplayme.com/battlefield2/bf2ranked.aspx which is also including VOIP with rentals. The other thing that intrigues me is the ability to switch the server to different games whenever we want. They include

America’s Army: SF (Vanguard)
America’s Army: SF Honor *NEW*
Battlefield 2 Demo
Battlefield 2 Ranked *NEW*
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat
Battlefield 1942 - Eve of Destruction
Battlefield 1942: Vietnam
Battlefield Vietnam: Point of Existence
Call of Duty
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Descent 3
Doom 3
FarCry
Half-Life 2: DeathMatch
Half-Life: CS Source
Half-Life: Counter Strike
Half-Life: Day of Defeat
Halo
Halo CE
Jedi Knight IIJedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: SpearheadNascar Racing 2003 Season
Nascar Racing 2003 Season CTSPostal 2 - Share the Pain Demo
Quake
Quake - Qball
Quake - Team Fortress
Quake II
Quake III
Quakeworld
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier of Fortune II
SWAT 4
Unreal 2 MP Demo
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo
Wolfenstein - ET

I played on a test server listed on the site and did not see any lag with a ping around 32. I figure the 26 person server would work for us and cost $104 a month. I am willing to contribute ~$40 a month and would put up a paypal account for the rest. One positive is with a ranked server we would be able to recruit and hopefully defer the cost even more. Just a thought.

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Other Games