World of tanks

Chat about other games.

World of tanks

Postby roadrunner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:22 pm

This game is still in closed beta but it appears that if you apply you get in. It is actually a pretty nice tank only simulation. You can get different types of damage and based on where you aim different damage will happen based on armor characteristics (slope, thickness).

It is based on WWII tanks and they have German, Russian and US tanks currently.

I am also willing to let tE use my account as I have already ground out to some high level tanks. Just send a PM and I will pass along the login.

http://game.worldoftanks.com/
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: World of tanks

Postby Gunther » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Of course I applied. :)
Login: Landain
Gunther was already taken.
GuntertE, Lv 1, NC on Waterson
GunthertE, Lv3, TR on Mattherson
Landain, Lv3, TR on Jaeger
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 am

Client Downloading now.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Let me know if you want to use my account gunther. I have several Russian tanks with the best being a fully decked out IS-3. That one is a lot of fun as with the match making system the IS-3 is typically one of the most powerful tank in the match.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Thank you for the offer. I will let you know. I don't get to game much during the daytime. My best game time is Thusday - Sunday after 7PM when the kids are in bed and the wife is at work. I'll try this out tonight. I'm also playing Hegemony: Philip of Macedon which I just purchased off Steam a few days ago.

This morning I had to clear 10" of snow from the driveway. I helped a neighbor with his his drive too. Then I had to take my Bella to the pediatrician's office this afternoon. I'm back and finally installing the WoT file. :)
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

[s]I've been sticking to the Russian Tech Tree. I've used the MS-1 99% of the time. I spent money or XP; however it is done to research all of the branches of the MS-1 and now am able to use the T-26; I think that is the next one. So when I grabbed the T-26 it said it had no ammunition. I have no gold pieces to buy ammunition either, since I used it all up to upgrade to this next tank in the Tech Tree. So I tried the T-26 without ammo thinking if I just went out on the battlefield, I would get something. I tried that three times and just minimized the window after I got killed. This didn't work. So, I went back to the MS-1 and I'm not getting any gold to buy ammo; just XP. But it is replenishing the ammo for the MS-1. I'm confused. Any ideas?[/s]
Never mind. I figured it out. I'm using the T-26 with a 45mm gun now.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm using a T-46 now with a 76mm gun (tier 3). The thing packs a punch, but it is real slow to reload. It sucks on the fly and long distances. Best for close in shots like a shotgun. I'd love to try your IS7. :)
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 pm

I sent you the login info. I would love a IS-7 but sadly I only have a IS-3. But with full upgrades and a fully trained crew. You should be able to get some kills with it. One hint is to not use auto aim but actually aim for certain areas like the underside or the turret.

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Gunther » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 am

So first try out with the IS3, I died with no kills to my credit. I guess I was surprised without reason of the type of tanks I saw in the battle. On my own account, I always found mostly Light and medium tanks Tiers 1 - 5 tanks. Mine is a tier 3. But with your account, most of the tanks were Tiger Is and Tiger IIs and IS7s.I didn't see one stinking medium tank or below. All heavies. So, I took a shot at this Russian tank and took a bad hit in the engine and track. I had to wait for the track to be repaired before I could move. Fortunately , I was able to get out and displaced to the top of a hill where a friendly Tiger I was putting damage on the same tanks I was firing on. I took two more shots and received more damage taht took out my diver. I use a first aid kit, healed him up and displaced again. This third time, I moved into a spot and took a shot at an IS7. before I could get off a 2nd shot, I was dead. I think I'll stick to my T-46. :(
It doesn't matter which size tank you have, there will always be a bigger and badder tank on the field to kick your bum.
Gunther
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby roadrunner » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am

Depending on the matchmaking system you may end up with some nasty opponents (IS7s, Mauls, ...) but typically my IS3 is near the top in terms of tier. Also until you get familar with the maps you will probably die a lot. There are areas of maps you really need to avoid or else you will get focused fired.

One note about the IS3 is that it plays more like a medium tank as it has pretty good mobility but not great armor. If you try and go head to head with the same tier or higher you will lose many fights. What I typically do it shoot and hide and use cover a lot. This also balances out the log reload time. I will also shoot on the run and dogfight if the terrain allows it. If you keep going with the soviet line you will run into the KV levels. This are kinda painful as the KV is very slow but has good armor. With both the KV and KV3 i would recommend upgrading the engine and transmission ASAP. Also use the 100mm and 107mm guns and don't go for the big ones.

So in general are you having fun with it? I don't put a lot of time playing but it is fun to do a few matches here and there.

-Albert Einstein
roadrunner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Other Games